need help with a regulator

thecasperrojas

need help for a regulator , need to drop down 14.4 v to 12 v can i use a 7812 and if i can what resisters al need ? :( HELP PLEACE !

If you're running batteries don't use a 78XX line regulator. They're not the most efficient.

Look for a switching regulator. I'm not quite sure which one everyone here likes to use, but there does seem to be a few favored ones. If you can't get your hands on it, the 78XX line of regulators have copious amounts of circuits online to follow if you just Google, but iirc you just need filtering caps of like .1uF on the input and output. Just make sure your voltage rating on your cap is higher than the voltage that it's filtering.

Hermaphroditus said:
If you're running batteries don't use a 78XX line regulator. They're not the most efficient.

Look for a switching regulator. I'm not quite sure which one everyone here likes to use, but there does seem to be a few favored ones. If you can't get your hands on it, the 78XX line of regulators have copious amounts of circuits online to follow if you just Google, but iirc you just need filtering caps of like .1uF on the input and output. Just make sure your voltage rating on your cap is higher than the voltage that it's filtering.

thanks but i aready have a 7812 and i was looking on google and nothing , plus am try to do something as cheap as it comes , can you link me to the right deraction ? in looking for duz switching regulators

Just Google around. I found some ADP3000 online, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find it. Just look.

And as I said for the 7812 just use 2 caps on the input and output for filtering. The cap goes to ground. Negative terminal towards ground. Again, Gooooogle.

What are you using this for? I've been told GC can happily take in around 14.8V.

Hermaphroditus said:
Just Google around. I found some ADP3000 online, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find it. Just look.

And as I said for the 7812 just use 2 caps on the input and output for filtering. The cap goes to ground. Negative terminal towards ground. Again, Gooooogle.

What are you using this for? I've been told GC can happily take in around 14.8V.

yes am using it for a gc :D and yes they can handle it like nothing but thats t rev a and b i dont know if c can take it all that :/?

Yeah... the only difference with a Rev. C is that the power regulators are where the Serial port or AV Digital or something used to be...

Don't use that regulator. Get yourself a decent switching regulator, as switching regulators hold the extra power and then release it, thus using almost all of the power of the batteries. Linear regulators like the one you have release the extra electrical energy as heat.

ProgMetalMan said:
Yeah... the only difference with a Rev. C is that the power regulators are where the Serial port or AV Digital or something used to be...

Don't use that regulator. Get yourself a decent switching regulator, as switching regulators hold the extra power and then release it, thus using almost all of the power of the batteries. Linear regulators like the one you have release the extra electrical energy as heat.

can you point me to were can i get thuz switching regulator (links) and how can i make them ( what do i need ) thanks for the help

ProgMetalMan said:
Always read the megastickies. This should help:
ZenLOCtronics's Custom Regulator
As Hermy said, the GC will take 14.8V unless you cut out the stock regulator. As Ashen said,
Ashen said:
I know you have a Revision C, but it still has the regulator. It's just on the main board.

ok man thanks for that big time help al read it right now :D

Back