n64 + 3.5" screen = ?

Snipeye

I had a problem with one of theses screens recently, and I think I know why...

As I understand it, the n64 outputs it's video in 240p, and most TV's simply interpret that and use it as 480i. These cheap screens don't. Anybody here good with screens and knows a way to convert 240p to 480i with an inline converter on the video line or something? Would really help.

:facepalm:

Read up on NTSC and analog video signals, and come back when you're done.

[/jlee]

Well, seeing as you closed your jlee bbcode tag there, would it be too much to ask for a less generalized response? I've looked around a few places (wikipedia, websites about scanline converters, etc) and I'm fairly new to this particular branch of electronics. If this isn't the problem, as your post may suggest, what is?

If the video was 240p, it wouldn't *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing work. The NTSC standard is 480i, which is basically the interlaced equivalent of 240p. What you're saying is that it comes out of the N64 as a 240p signal. Video doesn't work that way. It's not like VGA, DVI/HDMI, Component or other newer standards; only one resolution is supported. Resolution is a loose term as well. It's an analog signal, not a digital one. The video is encoded as "lines"- this is done with PAL video as well. The lines are transmitted sequentially, along with a colour signal and sync pulses. It is always 480 lines and never 240. Of course, newer video signals throw that out the window. Yes, I know that was a terrible explaination. If anyone can explain TV video in understandable terms, that would be great.

The screens most commonly used aren't even 640x480; even if they were it wouldn't help the image quality to my knowledge.

Back