ModRetroThon 1: Summer 2010!

PalmerTech

Founder of Modretro
Staff member
STORE LOGO CONTEST

PRIZE WIN:

For portables, a 3DS pre-order and gift certificate, fully paid for.

For mods in general, $100 cash prize.

For shoops, $50 cash prize.

We may be doing this annually, or seasonally, it is yet to be seen.

MODDING COMPETITION YEEAAAAH!

The rules are relatively simple:

3 categories:

1. Best Mod

2. Best Portable

3. Best Shoop

Deadline is August 1st for portables started before TODAY, June 1st, and August 20th for projects starting after today; This is to make timelines fair. Projects submitted may have started at any point in time, but they must be less than 50% done as of June 7th. If you plan on entering a project that you started, but are not very far in, then go post a worklog within the next week, so as to show that you are not that far. How do you determine if you are 50%? If you have to ask, then you are probably not eligible. However! If you really want to know, then send me a PM. Either I will tell you if it should be eligible, or I will consult with the moderation to determine it.

This way, people who start NEW mods get an extra 20 days! DO IT! Because some of the staff was aware of these rules, in order to ensure fairness... Any moderator or administrator of ModRetro must only submit projects started entirely after June 1st. Gathering of parts is not inclusive, since most of us are using stuff lying around anyways.

You may enter as many projects as you want. However, there is an entry fee of $10 for each project. This is to help defray the cost of prizes, and to prevent people from entering things that are terrible. HOWEVER! I understand that money is tight for a lot of people on the forum. If you cannot pay the $10 entry fee, throw a PM my way, and we will work it out. :)

Voting:

You will vote for your first, second, and third choices in each category in the Voting Thread, to open on August 21st. Voting will last 7 days. A vote for 1st favorite gives them 10 points, a vote for second favorite gives them 7 points, and a vote for 3rd gives them 5 points. This is to help counter any particular personal preferences from lopsiding the vote askew from a generally good entry.

The person with the most points in each category wins! Yes, you can vote for yourself!

What do you win? We have some really cool stuff in mind, and thanks to the MR fundraiser and ad revenue, we actually have some money to spend on prizes! :awesome: However, we have not made a final decision as to what the prizes will be. If you have suggestions, make them! I can promise this, though: Prizes will be AWESOME.

If you have cool stuff you would like to donate to the prize pool, PM me! Not only will you get credit, but all of the people who donate prizes that have a total value of $50 or more (Or close enough) will have their faces integrated into the ModRetro Banner for all of August! That is right, THAT banner:
MR_Logo.png

Finally, there will be two after-contest contests:

1. Best incomplete entry

2. Best Prize Donated

We all try to make the deadline, but as we also all know, sometimes it just never happens. Why ruin all that hard work? Anyone who starts an entry for MRT09 but does not finish is eligible. I will make a voting thread after the contest ends, and you can submit your WIP threads, and members can vote on what their favorite it. Potential, scale, creativity, level of completion, vote for whatever reason you want! The winner of this will get a brand new _TO BE DETERMINED_.

Voting for best prize donation will be determined in the same way. If we have less than 5 donators, the prize will be $25 cash or PayPal. If we have 5 to 10, it will be $47. If 10-15, $75. If more than 15, $150!

Discuss rules, general excitement, and suggestions for prizes in this thread. On June 7th, several support threads will be made to divide discussion into relevant components, so as to limit confusion, and ease access of information.

It is time......

I'm putting up my insane horde of prizes. Cause I can

Portable DVD player that can be used as a screen
N64
Dremel
PalmerTech's Epic N64p Case.
N64p Batteries
N64 controller
PS2 Controller
N64 Expansion and Transfer Pack
Random Assortment of Xbox 360 games
30 Bucks.

Palmer accidentally my post. :awesomepalmer:

Nice, DJ!

I fix'd spelling in aplerm's post.

I'm making something smaller than the TriSixtyFource. And I want Mario and bentomo to get in on this, cause if I'm going to lose it then I want it to be to them!

SS

Now I'm really motivated to start working on the wingman, I'm glad school has been holding me back now.

Shouldn't there be an entry thread?

bentomo said:
Now I'm really motivated to start working on the wingman, I'm glad school has been holding me back now.

Shouldn't there be an entry thread?
This is better as a Discussion thread . the entry thread should not be in the global forum.

If I can raise some money by working and selling flax, I'll be able to get that Superjoy from Beta, a 2" screen, etc. and make a NES portable.

You should definitely crosspost this to BH. The more entrants the merrier. And maybe that German forum too. XD

I'll see what I can round up prize wise, might have a boxed Sega Master System with games to donate. Is PAL though so might not be the best of prized for the inevitable American winner unless Techknott enters.

XCVG said:
Entry fee? On an internet contest? I was going to enter, but now, nope.

I explained, it just to let us get cooler official prizes. We are not making any money off this, every penny is going towards prizes! And like I said, if you cannot pay an entry fee, just let me know, and I will probably waive it. :)

Oh, and me and DJ were talking, I decided that it probably makes sense, obviously, to void the entry fees of anyone who donates anything at all. Remember, the goal is to get some nice prizes to motivate people, not for me to get beer money or something. :lol:

@DK: Sounds cool, man! The fun thing is, most newer TVs here actually support PAL and NTSC (All the flat screens me and my friends have bought since 2006 or so support both), so I am sure we could work out a way for it to go to someone who can use it. :)

@Beta: "No advertising your own site". :(

Back