Modifying Laptop Screens

ttsgeb

Breaker of Everything
Staff member
Alright, first things first: I'm not a lunatic that is looking to save a buck by using a laptop screen in my portable, as a cheap tv, etc.
I am a lunatic. That, however is beside the point.

I understand that there likely isn't a quick/easy way to convert an old Laptop screen to be usable as an external monitor, or as a television. However, I've also noticed that screens on laptops tend to have higher, or more useful pixel densities than most other things out there. Being the awkward retina display loving pixel density freak that I am, I would like to use the rather amazing screens from old laptops that I've accumulated as displays for my current computer, basically, I would like to take them with me.

Now that we have a standard for digital video transfer, I figure that the adapters can be significantly simpler and cheaper than they were with vga and other analog standards. I also suspect that there are still places out there that can provide these adapters pre-built, albeit at rather high prices. These prices, although high, likely do not begin to touch on the price of a new monitor that meets specifications of many old laptop screens.

So, what I'm looking for is general leads on the information that I would need to construct these adapters, or if you know of a supplier, a link to where I could have one made would be more than appreciated, I know these were out there in the past, but they seem to have been lost throughout the years.

So, rather than saying "It's too complicated" or "You can't do it" or other generic responses like that, I ask that if you know where I can find the information I need you kindly provide it here, so that those that are actually willing to put forth the effort/money to do this have something to work with.

tl;dr
Laptop screen as a monitor. Don't say hurdur can't do it, be helpful or gtfo.

So, controller works better than driver... any other magic words here?
That store may not work forever.

Wait a second... this + laptop lcd + (insert game console here) = slim screens for laptop-style portables? YES!

Well, anyway, that was disturbingly quick and painless... Any other info out there so we can have something more to point people to?

Back