Make your own component Cable.

gdawgtuk

Hi all, I'm new here. I plan on making a portable Nintendo 64 and GameCube in the near future and I am in the planning stages at the moment.

My first big question is if it is possible purchase a Nintendo Wii component cable, but rewire it to fit into a stripped GameCube head? So basically you take both a Wii component cable and a GameCube AV cable, dissect both ends on both plugs and wire the GameCube head to the cable of the Wii Component cable.

Is that possible?

I believe it is possible if you wire correctly. Right audio to right audio, left to left, video to video, and grounds to grounds. Ive done it with power cords but im not 100% sure if its the sane concept.

It isn't. Inside of the GC component cable is a chip that's absolutely necessary for the GC to output component.

Spoleyo said:
I believe it is possible if you wire correctly. Right audio to right audio, left to left, video to video, and grounds to grounds. Ive done it with power cords but im not 100% sure if its the sane concept.
Component and composite are completely different stuff.

If you are in the united states this is true. However if you get your hands on a PAL cube it can output component video with just the cable no problem. NTSC cubes need the special cable.

No, no, no, no.

NTSC GameCubes output composite OR s-video through the analog A/V out port.
NTSC GameCubes output component through the digital A/V out port.

PAL GameCubes output composite OR RGB through the analog A/V out port.
PAL GameCubes output component through the digital A/V out port.

RGB is NOT component. Both PAL AND NTSC cubes need the special cable to output digital component video.

Back