Kinect Hacks

ttsgeb

Breaker of Everything
Staff member
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/29/two- ... w-our-mind

There are a lot of people working on hacks for the Kinect, as you probably know.
For this one, he uses two to create real time adjustable 3d video. What I'm thinking is that to make this better, we need a way to adjust for interference between the IR projectors
My idea for this is to work with timing a bit and build a mechanical shutter that shuts out ever other cycle of the dot projection. The simplest version of the shutter would be a disk with a hole cut out mounted on a stepper motor. The motor would be controlled by the computer, on a separate data line from the Kinect and would be constantly checked that it's in time. This system, once built would allow for simple expansion, allowing a decent image and frame rate up to around 6 cameras, perfect for a full view of an object
My brother however, seems convinced that you should modify the device to achieve this effect with the electronic shutter on the camera sensor.

So, has anyone here done any significant research into the working of the Kinect? Is it always projecting dots once it's turned on, or is that controlled by the computer(thus eliminating the need for my shutter)?

Note: I don't have the programming abilities or the money to do this, so I'm just opening it for hypothetical discussion, hence F42 rather than other projects.

It's basically shadow puppets... But there's so much you could do with that. Imagine a battle between two bird things on screen which you control entirely with your arm. flax dude, we're getting so close to making Tron.

Back