Is my Retro Duo dead?

Prog

Not a Meme™
Staff member
I tried to do the sound mod, but failed. AFAIK, there's no actual solder on the board, just flux. I reassembled everything, and I don't see any bridged connections. So, I went to plug it in, and turn it on. The LED didn't come on. A second later, there was a crack, and what sounded kind of like a spring snapping or electronics exploding. It then smelled bad, like a mix of sweet, electronics, and fire. and I think I even saw smoke. I open it up, and there's various white powdery stuff on the board. In the top left, there's a fairly large electrolytic capacitor with a popped out bottom that seems to be the source of the smell. It appears to be connected to the power input.

Is it salvageable? There appears to be a bunch of that white junk next to a chip labeled SEC KOREA 524Y KM681000BLG. Should this be a concern? Do you think either the NES or the SNES portion will still work?

:facepalm: Well, I am just *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing stupid.

I plugged it into the Genesis adapter!

Morals the story:
1. Always label your power adapters.
2. 9V will fry your Retro Duo.

Unfortunately, I never got far enough in OOT to learn it.
Now that I mention it, I never got past Kakakiro Village...
Hopefully I'll get OOT for my birthday, along with an NES and SNES to replace the RD.

Well, the SNES side powers up, but doesn't play games, leading me to believe that it's fried.
The NES side doesn't power up at all, but still sends a pop on the audio line when you turn it on.

Well, I went to swap out the cap, and learned I'm terrible at soldering.

I also learned that the reason my RD blew out was because the tip of the SEGA adapter is negative, whereas the RD adapter has a positive tip.

Back