Information Repository

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
Yesterday I was around the net looking for modding information and I realized, it's all spread around. There's lots of information, but it's on several people's sites, spread across the internet. What if I were to gather information and put it in a giant repository? Now of course there are several windfalls. I would have to get permission to post guides from various people, have to get a host, etc. Who is interested in this? And does anybody have any tips?

J.D said:
Are there any big modding communities unrelated to Benheck?

I think he is talking about all those random little personal websites, not big "scenes". Although, there IS some good stuff on AcidMods. ;)

Sounds like what we would do with our wiki, or something along those lines. I can provide hosting.

A wiki would be great for this when you think about it, though I'd worry a bit about vandalism (intentional or not). And yes, I am referring to the personal websites where such information is usually found.

We could lock editing to only a few people. If people want to make changes, they can request permission. Even if they do something wrong, we can revert to earlier versions easily.

That would be a good idea. Of course I would have to get permission from people to post their guides or content from it, but it shouldn't be too hard. They would get full credit and a site link.

How about the wiki is only able to be accessed by members who meet a requirement? aka has built a portable/ finished a mod, or has made a guide on the forums/ is considered knowledgeable.

I could set up the Wiki you know.

I've done it before :p
Many times in fact.

All PalmerTech has to do is ask ;)
Just like the ad manager...

PalmerTech said:
If you can get a wiki set up, you will be a god. :awesome: GO JLEE GO!

Lawl M'kay.

I can't do it until I'm home though :p
Thursday or so.

I'll start with just a simple MediaWiki install.
We can customize and hack it up as much as we want from there.

Probably add a WYSIWYG editor, other such things, permanent block on Eurddrue's entire IP range, etc.

Heh, mmmonkey was one of the first people I was going to ask. There's a lot of great mods on his site!

Back