How to "easily" wire to an FFC (Wiikey/WODE)

Ashen

GameCube Révolutionary
So yea, some people have expressed interest in just how the Heck I do this. Here's a little guide. I'm leaving the pictures huge'ish for clarity.

Stuff you'll need:
DSCN1183.jpg

Not pictured:
Soldering iron (duh). Having a nice skinny/pointy tip will help. I keep my Weller at max setting (850 degrees F) so it melts the solder quick with little contact time.
Magnifier of some sort to check your work.

Lets get started:

Take your FFC and snip it off at a nice point. If its your first time, leave some room for error as you'll likely screw up and have to snip it again:
DSCN1186.jpg

Now, take the snipped FFC and scotch tape it down onto a hard surface:
DSCN1187.jpg

We now need to scrape the thin plastic layer off the end of it, exposing the metal leads:
DSCN1189.jpg

Pic of scraping tool I use:
DSCN1185.jpg

Continue down the line and scrape the whole end of the FFC clean:
DSCN1190.jpg

Readjust the FFC to a nice angle that you're comfortable with, re-tape it down and then use the exacto knife to split between the leads (this is the most precarious part of the whole deal IMO):
DSCN1191.jpg

If you did a good job, you should have something that looks like this:
DSCN1194.jpg

Cut a tiny rectangular piece of double sided tape out and apply it so that we can bend every other lead back and have the tape hold it in place:
DSCN1196.jpg

Done:
DSCN1197.jpg

Besides helping hold things in place, the double sided tape gives the FFC a bit more substance, so as when we touch it with our soldering iron tip it doesn't just shrivel up into a ball of goo. That being said, we'll apply a small rectangle of double sided tape to the remaining leads sticking out the end also:
DSCN1199.jpg

Leave the paper on the opposite side of the double sided tape this time, we only need one side to be sticky here:
Done:
DSCN1200.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

Now that's done we can prep our wires, Cut them to your desired length and tin the end of each one with a bit of solder (you only need a little bit, overkill here is bad):
DSCN1203.jpg

DSCN1206.jpg

Apply flux. Not too much, just enough to help aid in connecting:
DSCN1207.jpg

Hold wire in place with tweezers, its important that the wire is pressed down hard against the FFC lead. Start at the end of the stripped wire and swipe your soldering iron forward to melt the solder and make the connection. This needs to be done quickly (as in like under a half of a second or so). If you take to long you will melt the FFC lead, plastic, metal and all:

DSCN1208.jpg

Progress down the line:
DSCN1209.jpg

DSCN1211.jpg

Once done, test all your connections with a multimeter to make sure you have continuity between the end of the wire and the end of the FFC.

If all is well epoxy/hot glue that side of the FFC:
DSCN1212.jpg

Rinse and repeat for the opposite side.

Its worth noting that I've been doing this a bit different lately, I've only been soldering to the leads needed for the actual data lines on the FFC. So pins: 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28 and 29. So only 19 pins to solder.

I've then been connecting ground and 3.3v to the wiikey as so:
DSCN1213.jpg

Hope this helps some people. I think this method is way better than using a breakout board.

Other Tips and Tricks:

Tchay said:
In addition to Ashen's setup, I have found another step to be helpful.

For those of you who don't have flux and are used to tinning the connection itself prior to soldering the wire, you will want to secure these pins in place somehow.

By taking another sliver of double sided tape and placing it over the ends of the pins as seen below, you will prevent the pins from popping up. Then simply solder in between the slivers of tape. I did this on both sides and it was very helpful.
49on7.jpg

Oh, and one more thing, soldering to the below pins is WAY easier than soldering to the vias IMO. Just rip of those black filtering caps and use those solder points.
DDConnectorWiikey-WODEPinsMed-MaxCut.jpg

Re: How to ("easily") wire to an FFC (Wiikey)

I was wondering wether in case i *plink up my ffc, i could by another one, that would allow me to try again, without buying another wkf.

Anyways, this is an awesome, detailled guide ash, working wonders as per use ^^ i tryied a similar approach tO with my wiikey before, but some ideas weren't as good as this guide's

They sell replacement FFC's at various modchip webstores. They can be a bit pricey though.

The cheapest I've found them was on DX for like $1.22 a piece. The nice thing about cutting the FFC in half and doing it that way is that you now have the two sides to work with. So if you screw one up you always have the other, plus if you cut directly in the center of the FFC you can cut back a bit to try again if you make a mistake.

Instead of using the flat-head as a scraping tool, use sand paper. Whole lot better IMO.

I don't know how much longer I can ignore the GC scene. With all of these awesome guides you're making, it's becoming very hard for me to resist.

The problem I found with sandpaper is that you also will sand away some of the leads. Which can be bad, that being said I like using a sraping tool better. Either or will do the trick though.

What kind of a scraping tool do you use? The flat head I use rips the FFC, and barely scraches the surface of the plastic. Also, can you give us the link to the FFC on DX? Can't seem to find it. :dah:

budnespid said:
I don't know how much longer I can ignore the GC scene. With all of these awesome guides you're making, it's becoming very hard for me to resist.

Do it!!! :D :D :D

Eventually here I'll join you in N64 land also.

nukear said:
What kind of a scraping tool do you use? The flat head I use rips the FFC, and barely scraches the surface of the plastic. Also, can you give us the link to the FFC on DX? Can't seem to find it. :dah:

Whatever you use needs to be pretty sharp on the end. The thing I use is just some random solder scraper thing that I got with a rat shack soldering iron like 10 years ago. I just sharpened the end of it a bit with some 600 grit sandpaper. Best to hold your scraper at a pretty decent angle while scraping the plastic off the FFC. That way you get only the plastic and not the rest of it.

Ashen said:
budnespid said:

Do it!!! :D :D :D

Eventually here I'll join you in N64 land also.
Awesome. I would offer you N64 advice, but I doubt you'll need it :p

In addition to Ashen's setup, I have found another step to be helpful.

For those of you who don't have flux and are used to tinning the connection itself prior to soldering the wire, you will want to secure these pins in place somehow.

By taking another sliver of double sided tape and placing it over the ends of the pins as seen below, you will prevent the pins from popping up. Then simply solder in between the slivers of tape. I did this on both sides and it was very helpful.
49on7.jpg

Oh, and one more thing, soldering to the below pins is WAY easier than soldering to the vias IMO. Just rip of those black filtering caps and use those solder points.
DDConnectorWiikey-WODEPinsMed-MaxCut.jpg

Awesome Tchay! glad my little guide helped you man. Added your tip to the first post.

Back