How do I ship ice cream on an airplane?

PalmerTech

Founder of Modretro
Staff member
As some of you may know, I am no stranger to airplane shenanigans. :p

I am leaving on a trip this Thursday, and I need to somehow bring several boxes of ice cream, and keep them frozen. The volume of the boxes is equivalent to 2 Gamecubes, side by side. It needs to somehow get through security.

I have several plans in my head, make no mistake, I am not totally clueless on how I would do this. But I know that a lot of you will probably have better ideas! Anybody have some?

*Can'tSayThisOnTV*in' delicious flax thar man.
God Dang.

Now, here's what you do:
Get one of those lunchbox/bag things schoolkids use, the heavily insulated bags, you know.
And, that's about it, you put 'em in there.

Security won't touch it, they don't care about food 99% of the time.

How long is the flight? How long does it have to stay frozen after the flight?

I know commercial shippers pack stuff in foam coolers with dry ice, but I don't think you can bring dry ice on planes anymore.

ShockSlayer said:
Why the *PLINK*?

Because they only make this stuff in Japan/very select places in the USA. Only three retailers in the US sell it, and this stuff, as Jlee says, is AMAZING. Luckily, I am able to buy it about 10 minutes from me very cheaply, but I want to bring some to Nicole. The only place online sells a box for twice as much... WITH $35 SHIPPING! :wtf: Overnight dry ice shipping is expensive.

The flight is only 2 hours or less, but it needs to stay cold from the time I leave in the morning (10:00 AM or so) till when I am picked up at the airport (3:00 PM). There can be ice in a small cooler in the car from that point.

Jlee, you think? Will that keep it frozen long enough? I read that the TSA is trained to always leave professionally packed frozen seafood alone (Like, if you buy 2lbs of frozen crab from a fish place), and I was considering packing it up with some cold packs in one of those insulated lunch bag things, then wrapping it in brown paper, and printing out an official looking "Palmer's Wharf" label on a big adhesive sheet, to make it look like it was packed at a fishery.

Am I over-planning?

You are indeed over-planning, but you got the general idea.

It'll work fine, they won't touch your flax, make sure you bring it on carry-on, keep it nicely insulated, etc.

And Palmer, uh, you can buy that stuff ALL OVER the US.
Any decent China-Town has it.

jleemero said:
And Palmer, uh, you can buy that stuff ALL OVER the US.
Any decent China-Town has it.

And that is what I get for trusting wikipedia, which only lists three chains that carry it. :lol:

Colorado has essentially nothing.

Also, mochi ice cream can't compare to Goma ice cream.
img3404alr4.jpg

DAT BLACK SESAME

I'll have to try that stuff. Being in the most asian part of Ontario, I should find the flax easy.

Back