DS/DS Lite Flash Cards

AfroLH

Frequent Poster
So, my flash card broke and I need a new one.

I wanna know what you guys think is the best one.

I'm looking for something that:
1. Has Perfect Compatibility
2. Takes MicroSD cards (don't know if there is any other kind)
3. Has a nice interface
4. Low Cost

Thanks

Alright, anymore EVERY SINGLE FLASHCART ON THE MARKET DOES THE SAME EXACT THING JUST AS WELL AS EACHOTHER.

So to be honest, the best advice anymore is: Avoid Clones, go for Price.

So ANYTHING with R4 in the name, avoid like the plague, and I don't care what anyone else says about that, that's the truth, you need to be 12 years old to object.

My best recommendations?
AceKard2i, or an iTouch2.
Both <$15.

I prefer the AceKard2i.
It can be had for just under $13, free shipping.

I'm really, really tempted to lock this thread, because I know people WILL give bad advice, because they're 12 year olds who don't know what they're talking about.
I have owned a ridiculous number of cards for the DS over the years.
From PassMe's, to NoPass Devices, Supercard Lite, M3 Lite, DS Link, AceKard, AceKard2, AceKard2i, DS-Xtreme, EZFlashV, R4DS, Supercard DSONE, Supercard DSONE v3, M3 DS Real, TopToy, Edge, CycloDS Evolution, iTouchDS, iTouch2.

I've used every Dang one.

jleemero said:
Alright, anymore EVERY SINGLE FLASHCART ON THE MARKET DOES THE SAME EXACT THING JUST AS WELL AS EACHOTHER.

So ANYTHING with R4 in the name, avoid like the plague, and I don't care what anyone else says about that, that's the truth, you need to be 12 years old to object.
I'm not looking to buy a flashcard myself, but I'm nevertheless curious as to why (you think) the R4 is so terrible.

Jewjo said:
jleemero said:

I'm not looking to buy a flashcard myself, but I'm nevertheless curious as to why (you think) the R4 is so terrible.
The original R4 was a good card, albeit pricey, but it did what it did and it did it well.
But that was literally YEARS ago.
New cards surpass it greatly, in features, cost, and above all else, compatibility.
You can't even get real R4s anymore, just many, MANY, cheap, poor quality clones.

If it were 2006, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.
But nowadays, there is NO reason to buy one.
Much less a cheap clone.

Sadly, the R4 received a lot of recognition in it's time, so many still stand by it believing it to be "the best".
Most of these are just little kids who hear about it online and instantly grab it up, not doing even the tiniest bit of research.

AfroLH said:
Alrighty.

Also, do GBA Flashcards work in a DS?
Yes, quite so in fact.
There are GBA Flashcards made for the DS.

It depends on what you're doing.
If you wanna run DS Homebrew, don't bother, because it's an outdated and unsupported way of doing it.

But if you wanna run GBA Games on your DS, let me tell ya, about the best you can do is an EZ Flash 3-in-1.
It'll not only let you run GBA Games, but also add extra RAM (For Nintendo's Opera Browser), and Rumble support for the few games that use it.
It's a bit under $20, I totally recommend it.

The only one I've ever used was a DSTT,

it rawked

Played all my roms, Had a great SNES emulator, as well as an NES emulator.

I loved it

I use the Acekard 2. Great flashcard, plays all of my games, all of my patched games (like Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Story), plays all of my emulators, and runs all the other programs. My advice to you is use the AKAIO firmware if you want to use a flashcard. It's a lot more compatible, and you can still use default Acekard 2 skins with it.

J.D said:
I use the Acekard 2. Great flashcard, plays all of my games, all of my patched games (like Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Story), plays all of my emulators, and runs all the other programs. My advice to you is use the AKAIO firmware if you want to use a flashcard. It's a lot more compatible, and you can still use default Acekard 2 skins with it.

Orly?

My patched games never worked on my TTDS :gonk:

AceKard2i is indeed excellent. However, I would look into the EZFlashV. It comes with a GBA pack for loading GBA games off the slot 1 card, and it also functions as a RAM expansion pack and a rumble pack. You can either do a quick flash where you just select a GBA game like you would a DS game, and it takes about 2-3 seconds to load it. Or, you can do a hard flash and completely write the GBA game to the permanent memory, so you can take it out, put it in another DS, play it without the slot 1 card. I case modded mine so that it fits in a GBA, it works fine there, too.

So yeah, Acekard2i if you only want DS games, EZFlashV if you want GBA.

PalmerTech said:
AceKard2i is indeed excellent. However, I would look into the EZFlashV. It comes with a GBA pack for loading GBA games off the slot 1 card, and it also functions as a RAM expansion pack and a rumble pack. You can either do a quick flash where you just select a GBA game like you would a DS game, and it takes about 2-3 seconds to load it. Or, you can do a hard flash and completely write the GBA game to the permanent memory, so you can take it out, put it in another DS, play it without the slot 1 card. I case modded mine so that it fits in a GBA, it works fine there, too.

So yeah, Acekard2i if you only want DS games, EZFlashV if you want GBA.

1) The EZFlashV does not come with the GBA Pack, at least not anymore.
2) All that you can do with it, the AceKard2 can do as well, thanks to AKAIO's full GBA-Expansion support.

No reason to choose the EZFlashV over the AK2.

Michaelthurston said:

it rawked

I loved it
ur welcome.
if anybody cares, my reccomendation is an acekard 2i with 4 gig micro sdhc and akiko firmware.

mako321 said:
Michaelthurston said:

it rawked

I loved it
ur welcome.
if anybody cares, my reccomendation is an acekard 2i with 4 gig micro sdhc and akiko firmware.

You're*

Michaelthurston said:
mako321 said:
Michaelthurston said:

it rawked

I loved it
You're welcome.
If anybody cares, my reccomendation is an acekard 2i with 4 gig micro sdhc and akiko firmware.

You're*
If you're going to be a grammar nazi, be thorough and complete. ;)
Note: Unfixed capitalization on Acekard, SDHC, etc. and common abbreviations left intact intentionally.

A bit late to the discussion, but I would like to share my thoughts.

You can ask but you will get lots of different answers. I have an M3 DS Real, with GBA expansion pack. Now, I'm not saying it's the end-all be-all of flashcarts, but it does a great job of what I need it to do. The Sakura firmware is great, since it has a built-in media player. It supports DLDI auto-patching and takes microSD cards. The GBA expansion pack provides the ability to play GBA games and acts as a RAM expander. I like it, but maybe it's not the best one out there. Works fine with emulators and homebrew. It didn't work with some games but I later attributed it to bad ROMs :hit:

Whatever flashcart you choose, you will enjoy the capabilities it adds to your DS. Using it as an MP3 player is maybe not the best use, but I use it for that more than gaming. One time I was on a ferry and they had an arcade but no Slug machine :gonk: and I wanted to play some Slug so I fired up NeoDS and played some Slug and it was awesome also NeoDS is one of the most polished emulators for the DS but still lags a bit but it's much better than jenesisDS which is garbage or SnemulDS which only somewhat works and I'm going to end this tremendous run one right now wait for it now.

One time I was on a ferry and they had an arcade but no Slug machine :gonk: and I wanted to play some Slug so I fired up NeoDS and played some Slug and it was awesome also NeoDS is one of the most polished emulators for the DS but still lags a bit but it's much better than jenesisDS which is garbage or SnemulDS which only somewhat works and I'm going to end this tremendous run one right now wait for it now.
That's one long sentence.

Back