custom GB boy colour

Fluxedo

ZFXD2R0l.png

ZFNvMH9l.png

Here is my modded GB boy colour. The GB boy colour is a 3rd party chinese after-makrket Gameboy color that has a backlit screen so that's why I used it instead of an official Gameboy. I got the yellow one for Christmas so I immediately took it apart and modded it. I removed the red LED and replaced with a Gamecube orange LED to compliment the yellow. I prosounded it and replaced the crappy D-pad with a Gameboy Pocket D-pad. I also have a switch mounted in the black plastic area for overclocking where a normal Gameboy Color would have the IR port but this clone dosn't have anything there so it's easier to mount a switch. But the internal crystal reads 25.000 ( Don't know the unit) but when I used a Dreamcast 33.84 MHz crystal or a 54 MHz Gamecube crystal it either ran slower or it didn't boot respectively? Is the stock crystal a different unit because the DC crystal made it ran slower? Circuit Ben would have a definite because he used a variable crystal on his GB boy Colour answer but I have no idea where to contact him. Does anyone else have a suggestion for a overclock crystal or where to contact Ben?

I remember seeing these a while back looked pretty cool. How is the quality on these? Was thinking about picking one up to recase in a regular GB/p/c/ case.

Other than the D-pad it's pretty decent. A lot better than you'd expect anyways. Main things that bother(d) me is the scaling of the screen because it's not the same resolution as a normal gameboy screen the d-pad is pretty bad but is much better when replaced by a GBP one, and the fact I can't figure out how to overclock it. :evil2: prosound is easy as well.

Do you guys think the GB boy needs to boot on the Normal speed and then flip the switch to the higher speed for it to work? On vacation right now so I can't test it. I've heard the NES has to do the same so maybe clone Gameboys work similar and need to as well. Thanks!

Fixed the links, not used tags because the pictures are massive.

Decent job with the backlight, looks good.

Kickback said:
Fixed the links, not used tags because the pictures are massive.[/quote]
Put l right before the .jpg or .png and they'll automatically resize since they're hosted with imgur.

Back