Couple of quick questions.

Carp

I just had a few questions regarding a portable I'm making, if you can't answer all of them it's fine I just need to know this before I start.

1. How can I make everything stay in my case snug without it moving around, I really don't want to go with the ghetto approach of using hot glue but will if necessary.

2. Also can I have any of the circuit boards sit on top of each other or should I put something in between so they don't short?

3. If I want to have the option of 4 controller ports do I need a switch so I can switch between the portable and the controller ports?

Carp said:
I just had a few questions regarding a portable I'm making, if you can't answer all of them it's fine I just need to know this before I start.

1. How can I make everything stay in my case snug without it moving around, I really don't want to go with the ghetto approach of using hot glue but will if necessary.

2. Also can I have any of the circuit boards sit on top of each other or should I put something in between so they don't short?

3. If I want to have the option of 4 controller ports do I need a switch so I can switch between the portable and the controller ports?

1. You can use epoxy for holding things together. It is strong and doesn't melt as easy like hot glue.

2. You can put electrical tape over the contacts so they dont short. Or you could put a layer of plexi glass too.

3. I don't see why you need a switch. Just wire up the controller ports and mount them on the outside of your case.

If what you mean is switching between internal controls and an external player 1 port, use a DPST switch to switch power between the two.

Theoretically, you could probably epoxy some screw posts into the interior of your case and then screw in the board.

Epoxy is great, but I ABS cement will actually FUSE to your plastic case. The ABS cement breaks down the plastic of your case and then bonds with it. Its great for screw posts.

Epoxy will get hot and eventually break off of the case. Epoxy is good for securing down wires however.

Tchay said:
Epoxy is great, but I ABS cement will actually FUSE to your plastic case. The ABS cement breaks down the plastic of your case and then bonds with it. Its great for screw posts.

Epoxy will get hot and eventually break off of the case. Epoxy is good for securing down wires however.

That is not true of all epoxies. Plastic bumper epoxy would have to get around 200 degrees to come off. And I use an epoxy at work that attaches body panels to cars that will not come off under any condition.

Back