Connecting A/V to mah screen

Ampersand

Lightbulbs are awesome!
Alright, I've hardwired in power to my screen for testing, and I'm trying to hook up video. It's one of those 3 ring and tip 3.5mm jacks, like how the iPod Video could use to output to TV. I've hooked it up so it's like:
Yellow > tip
Red > ring 1
White > ring 2
Common Ground > ring 3
This is how I've seen the pinouts for these are online, but I'm not getting anything trying to hook up any of the colors to anything (although I get sound sometimes). Do I need to hook up something special to the video line? This is bugging me. At best the screen fades from white to red with black lines on it. D:

Thanks,
-Amp

Well, just because it's common pinout online doesn't mean that this screen has to follow it. Open the screen and look at the connector, and you should be able to figure which is ground. After that, it'll be easy to figure out video and audio.

Well I'm having trouble tracing anything, the board for the screen is about 1/4 the size of the screen and is so cluttered, you can't see any traces at all. Is there any other way I could test this? Would I be able to connect the A/V wires shield to a common ground (e.g. the power jack's ground) with it hooked up to an A/V source and just touch the wires to the different pin points and see if I get signal?

Well I wasn't sure, I know sometimes with headphone type jacks the ground must be connected in the jack or the signal isn't accepted at all cause the circuit's not closed.

Back