Chances of life in our galaxy increase tenfold

Tchay

Frequent Poster
This is so *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing exciting. God Dang.

http://news.yahoo.com/odds-finding-alie ... 20222.html

It makes sense, and I don't see any reason to doubt this article. Using a small pool of planets in our galaxy, if done right, can be an excellent representation of the galaxy as a whole. We learned about this sort of "probability counting" in 9th grade math. The textbook used examples of how to estimate the population of an area with thousands of deers, using only a hundred or so. Very fascinating.

There is no doubt in my mind that life in some form exists elsewhere in the universe.

Hey, we're here aren't we?

When you look at how immense the universe is, I think its foolish to think there wouldn't be at least some form of life out there (no matter how you think life started here). Not necessarily anything that could fly here to meet us, but at the very least some basic lifeforms.

There are millions upon billions of galaxies. Each with planets and suns just like ours. Undoubtably we aren't the only luckly planet in the potential numbers that are out there. I highly doubt there are little green men though, unless they're a chlorophyll based life form. :p However, there is bound to be other life in the universe. Who knows, they're could also be parallel universes :eek:

I'm a bit of a fanatic on parallel dimensions or the whole "multiple worlds" idea. Pretty cool stuff if you think about it. Sort of how our actions have a ripple effect on things. For example:

Today, I decided that skipping breakfast would be a good idea because I'm late for work. I'm tired as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* though, and not very attentive. During my dark commute to work, I hit a bicyclist and they die. Whoops.

Or,

I decided that it would be a better idea to eat something before leaving for work so I'd be more awake. I narrowly miss hitting a guy who darted out on his bike. This guy ends up being the father to our next president, who... blah blah blah, *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

But yeah, it's interesting to think about. There's some interesting stuff to read about if you look up John Titor. He was some fella on the internet about ten years or so ago who claimed to be a time traveler from the future. He talks about it quite a bit and it's a decent read if you're bored. Anyway, RANT END.

zeturi said:
Today, I decided that skipping breakfast would be a good idea because I'm late for work. I'm tired as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* though, and not very attentive. During my dark commute to work, I hit a bicyclist and they die. Whoops.

Or,

I decided that it would be a better idea to eat something before leaving for work so I'd be more awake. I narrowly miss hitting a guy who darted out on his bike. This guy ends up being the father to our next president, who... blah blah blah, *Can'tSayThisOnTV*.
That's an alternate timeline :p

Back