can i solder to this wire?

lyberty5

Ok guys i'm calling onto your superior electronics skills.
Here is the thing, i have a mob (french 50cc bike from the 60's) and there is some cable going from the alternator to the thingy that makes sparks and starts the combustion (bear in mind that i talk like that because i don't know those terms in english)
This cable (antiparasite in french, might help) is kind of loose, it's currently held by tape.
I'm just wondering if i can solder it back together so that it does'nt wiggle around no more.
I'm asking because i'm affraid the solder might not conduce enough or heat up or even melt, thanks for your help.

An iron won't do it, but you can solder it with a blowtorch... whether or not it's a good idea, I don't know; though. You'd have to ask a more car person about it.

I would just look for a new spark plug cable if I were you.

Parlez-vous français? Bonjour :)

Ce chose qui fait des étincelles (une bougie d'allumage?) est une "spark plug" en Anglais. À moins que vous voulez dire Delco, qui est "distributor". (J'ai vérifié sur Wikipedia pour les termes automobiles en Français, j'espère que ces mots sont corrects!)

Mais, à votre problème! L'électricité dans un voiture est très dangereux. Je ne voudrais pas soudure à rien en le démarreur, parce que il y a beaucoup courant dans cette system électrique en votre voiture. Vous pouvoir acheter un câble de rechange. Je pense qu'ils sont standardisés.

For everyone else, and in case my bad French is even worse than I think:

The thing that makes sparks (a bougie d'allumage?) Is a "spark plug" in English. Unless you mean Delco, which is "distributor". (I checked on Wikipedia for the automotive terms in French, I hope these words are correct!)

But to your problem! Electricity in a car is very dangerous. I would not solder to anything in the starter, because there is a lot of current in this part of your car's electrical system. You should be able to buy a replacement cable. I think they are standardized.

well, your french isn't perfect, especially in the feminin and masculin differenciation, but thanks for trying ^^
as for a precision, i said this was on some sort of motorised bike, not a car, i would never dare solder something in a car engine ^^ but anyway i'm gonna, look for a new one.

And yes it's a "bougie" thanks ^^

Sorry, it's been about five years since I took French, and as you can imagine, I don't get much opportunity to use it :) I got so excited, I forgot it was a motorbike and not a car!

Still, yes, I would try to find a new cable and not solder. Too many amps to be messing around.

Back