Apple 800k Fight Stick Complete!

Bibin

Frequent Poster
I had this old Apple 400/800k Floppy Disk Drive lying around, as a spare. During a trip to a store in Manhattan, I ran across some well-priced Sanwa arcade parts. I went home with a good square-gate joystick and six buttons, perfect for a fight stick. When I got home and saw the floppy drive, I saw a good chance to make a portable fight stick, something that I haven't seen in a long time! All the quality commercial ones are massive...

stick_final.JPG

As my drill was not working properly, nor my dremel, I had the "fun" of making all the cuts in the plastic with a screwdriver and some scissors. A million blisters later, all the holes were cut, the buttons and joystick mounted, and all that was left to do was to padhack an old PSone digital pad (which works fine on PS2).

For the start button, I used the original Eject button apple put on it, as well as using the drive access LED for a power indicator on the controller. It turns out the button is digital, not mechanical like most floppies!

On the right side is a switch with 3 positions - this lets me change what the Eject button does. In the top position, it's the start button. Bottom, it's the select button. In the middle, it disables the button entirely - wouldn't want to be disqualified from a tourney for pausing in the middle of a game!

Here's a picture of it working on one of the PS2s with Street Fighter 3: Third Strike:

stick_final2.jpg

That's Dang slick, Bibin!

Adding to the PS2 megasticky, unless you prefer it elsewhere.

samjc3 said:
why two ps2s? also, winsome mod.
Because if that crazy dude is gonna brag about his three ps3s, someone needs to have 2 ps2s to keep the pattern going, and I imagine most every ps1 owner keeps it up with their 1 ps1s...

I'm kind of curious though, is this meant to be more "portable" than other arcade sticks, or just in a different case?
IDEA:
toss a modded ps2 into an arcade stick, give it a slot load drive, and have a tv hook up... YAY Semiportables.

sorry if the post is a bit odd, I'm at that delusional state of having been up to long right now...

Whoa, they make black Wiis? I thought that was just a promise that Ninty never followed through with. Nice arcade stick, covered up door, and fake sandwich though. :)

The sheer redundancy of having two PS2s right next to each other is funny.

Also, I love your Genesis and Sega CD. Lucky. :<

Oh, yeah, nice fight stick, too. Well-done!

Twilight Wolf said:
The sheer redundancy of having two PS2s right next to each other is funny.

Also, I love your Genesis and Sega CD. Lucky. :<

Oh, yeah, nice fight stick, too. Well-done!

I bought the Fat for mere dollars, then got the slim free a few days later :p

and then theres me who was trying to figure what that black thing was. (i figured it was a pico-pc) a wii. how odd. now i realize that ive only really seen the thing once.

Back