A couple Wii questions

Noah

Frequent Poster
I've looked through the mega-sticky and a couple of worklogs and haven't found anything.

1. I'm not going to be using the DD so is it like the GC where if it's not connected it starts throwing errors?

2. In terms of batteries, what's the minimum voltage the wii can run off of without any custom regs, (I'm not even sure any exist.)and can someone link me to some batts with a rather large capacity?

When there is no DVD drive connected, the Wii may or may not throw errors at you. A soft modded wii is more likely to go crazy and glitch out if you touch the board a certain way. I know that if you do something DVD drive related (like HDD game loading) it will give you an error. But usually, you can use your wii without any errors from the absent DVD drive.

From my experiences, the Wii can run off voltages down to about 9 volts. I know people say it takes around 11 volts to boot, but I was able to boot and run my Wii just fine in the 9 volt range with batteries. Custom regulators might be hard for you. The Wii has tons of voltages throughout the board, though I don't know how many are created with the initial 12v.

PS: If you actually mean to keep your Wii without its DVD drive or anything in place of it, that probably won't work out. I think you'll need a WiiKey or WODE or some replacement at some point to avoid errors and glitching.

Back