3DS gets a price cut

D.J

The Official Ghost/Reaper of ModRetro
Starting August 12th the 3DS will go on sale for 170. People who bought it already will receive 20 free downloadable games for virtual console.

Says both Kotaku and IGN.

That's quite the price cut!!!
I guess they paid off their R&D bloody quick then
I don't think anyone could possibly question the price now.

well that was a big, quick price drop. I guess they're making sure they corner the portable market this go-around before Sony can get its foot in the door.

I'm definitely getting one this Christmas, then!
Them peoples might have even "unlocked" it by then.

I agree with gross, ninty is definitely making all the right moves now that things have settled down, and they can work on stamping sony out of the scene before launch.

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* that. I'm returning mine to best buy and waiting until August 12 to buy another. I feel ripped off.

Definitely a response to Sony's price, since Nintendo wasn't selling at a loss before. Although the price cut came quite a bit sooner than I expected, for some reason I don't quite feel ripped off. Maybe its the 20 free games and the fact I've had mine since launch, but I can see how people who bought it recently might be annoyed.

EDIT: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/28/curre ... ree-games/

Looks like quite a few of those GBA games are really tempting.

As one of the joystiq commenters pointed out as well, if you brought these 20 games in the virtual console, they would add up at around $130. Not bad, considering Sony's recent compensation.

Not only that, but Nintendo intends to keep them exclusive to early adopters, which is a neat incentive.

10 GBA games and 10 NES games for free...plus Four Swords for GBA on DSi Ware for free...I'm totally okay with this :ninj:

I'm not. I paid for my 3DS less than a month ago and now I'll be out $80 if I don't return it in time. I don't want 20 games, many of which I already own to make up for that, so I'll be doing the swap.

Hackerbilly said:
you do get to choose the 10gba games and 10nes games
actually i think that's cool i get 20 free games

Yeah I'm perfectly okay with this. I bought the 3DS on launch day knowing exactly what I was getting and this is just a plus. But as far as we know we do not get to choose the NES and GBA games. We get the NES games, and then they become available on the market later in an updated form (added multiplayer). The GBA games will not be on the market as far as we know. Hopefully they start adding more NES and SNES games to the eShop and they start adding some GBA games. I believe Gamegear games are on the way as well.

Zero said:
Not only that, but Nintendo intends to keep them exclusive to early adopters, which is a neat incentive.
but I want a couple of those games :c

they wont permanently keep them exclusive will they? that'd be silly.

Considering those are some big ones like Fusion, Mario Kart, and Yoshi's Island, probably not.

Wow, I hope England gets a similar thing, i've been wanting to play Super Circuit for a while but Emulators aren't quite the same and I don't have a GBA anymore.

Make it happen Ninty or i'm not buying Skyward Sword :awesome:

GBA games are being kept exclusive, NES games are not. From what I've seen, you don't get to choose which (unless you choose not to download them). But hey, free LoZ, SMB, Ice Climbers, and Metroid Fusion. Hopefully Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland will be added to that list.

EDIT: FR/LG would be awesome. And don't be upset if you don't get a game you want. If other companies did the same, they would only hand out 2 or 3, let alone 20.

Back