Wii Board Revisions Guide

Shank

Formerly Known As Dyxlesci
This guide is outdated. An updated version of this guide has been integrated into my new guide on BitBuilt. Click here to check it out!

Introduction:
In honor of the revival of the stickies, Im making this thread to summarize and point out the differences, advantages, and disadvantages of each board. Most of this information is in my other thread, but the purpose of this thread will be to summarize info specifically on the NTSC board revisions into an easy to read guide.

I have learned so much from this site, and my wii guides are my attempt to give back to the community.

If this info helps you, let me know. It gives me good feels.
I spent a lot of time, money, and mental energy over the past few months into figuring this out so I could post this to the internet for you guys. A lot of Wiis died to make this possible. If you use this info elsewhere, please credit me. K?
Thanks <3

Pictures of consoles are stock photos, presumably from Nintendo.
Wii mini motherboard photo courtesy of "Alex Mi" from GBATEMP.
All other photos were taken by me.

WHOOOOO! Its board time!

Why the differences matter?

The Wii made some rather drastic changes from board to board, mostly to reduce the cost. Newer boards feature simplified layouts, reduced parts, few layers, and drastic reductions in power consumption (close to 50% reduction!) and heat generation. This can make trimming easier, batteries last longer, and heat dissipation less of a concern. Some have gamecube ports. Some have gamecube solder pads and data lines for ports but no ports. Some have no gamecube ports at all. Some are modable, and some are unmodable.

How many revisions are there?

There are 8 confirmed Revisions:

RVL-CPU-01
RVL-CPU-20
RVL-CPU-30
RVL-CPU-40
RVL-CPU-60
RVK-CPU-01
RVK-CPU-02
RVO-CPU-01

How do I know which board a Wii has?

There are 3 models of wiis.
The Original:
hMUxwEgl.jpg

This one is identifiable by its gamecube ports on top and vertical orientation of the text on the front
Possible Boards:
White Original Wii (CONFIRMED):
RVL-CPU-01
RVL-CPU-02
RVL-CPU-30
RVL-CPU-40
RVL-CPU-60

Black Original Wii (CONFIRMED):
RVL-CPU-40
RVL-CPU-60

Red Original Wii (UNCONFIRMED)
RVL-CPU-40
RVL-CPU-60

Light Blue Original Wii (UNCONFIRMED)
RVL-CPU-40
RVL-CPU-60

The Family Edition:
eGjr7shl.jpg

This system is easily identifiable by its horizontally oriented words and its omission of gamecube ports.

There are some big misconceptions about this version, so I hope to clear them up. This system will not play gamecube games without modification. The disc drive was simplified to only accept wii discs to reduce cost, and the ports were removed as well. This system has solder pads for gamecube controller and memory card ports. Ports can be soldered on, and this system can USB/SD load gamecube games. I have not tested if it can load commercial gamecube games through swapping the DVD drive with one from an older wii, but it should work in theory unless there is some firmware block.

Possible Boards (all colors):
RVK-CPU-01
RVK-CPU-02

AGAIN, THE WII FAMILY EDITION HAS GAMECUBE PORT PADS AND CAN BE MODDED TO LOAD GAMECUBE BACKUPS. DONT LET THIS ONE DETER YOU, MODDERS.

Wii Mini:
fJnJKYql.jpg

This one can easily be identified by a significant redesign.

When first announced, it showed promising potential, and the community was stoked

But once we got a better look at the inside and loss of functionality, we realized our initial hopes were very wrong

Possible Boards:
RVO-CPU-01

Not much is documented on the wii mini. I have yet to tamper with one myself, but this is what is known:
-No gamecube support
-No gamecube data lines or solder pads for controllers
-No built in wifi
-Firmware blocks use of LAN Adapter for wired internet
-No SD slot
-Currently un-softmodable
-No component video or other means of outputting 480p
-No virtual console games
-Not much smaller than the wii

Not the best choice for modders.

TL;DR
RVL boards came in Wiis with gamecube ports
RVK boards came in Wiis without gamecube ports
RVO boards came in Wii minis.

Identifying Your Board

But which one are you? The number can be easily read in the corner of the motherboard.
CRuagk5l.jpg

I later discovered a way to identify boards without completely taking them apart.
The revision number can be seen by removing the bios battery.
Simply unscrew this little screw...
S3REwd2l.jpg

And peek inside! The revision number is now visible.
aeBF2vbl.jpg

This board says 01, so it is a RVL-CPU-01. Boards will have the 2 digit revision code, either 01, 20, 30, 40, or 60. RVK boards will say K01, but they really don't need to be inspected because they wont have gamecube ports. As for RVO, If you cannot tell the difference between a wii and a wii mini from the outside, please contact your eye doctor.

RVL-CPU-01
BGUeoNxh.jpg

Layers: 6
Die Size: 90nm
Power Consumption: High
Heat generation: High

The first iteration of the wii. It has lots of layers, and lots of components all over the board. Compared to later revisions it uses a lot of power (18-20w), creates a lot of heat. Trimming this one is a pain due to its 6 layer motherboard construction. Cutting should not be done beyond gold perimeter ground plain, and even that risks shorting layers. I only recommend using for larger portables, as it can not be significantly reduced in size, requires larger heat sinks, and uses more power.

RVL-CPU-20

TtHP8ITh.jpg

Die Size: 90nm
Power Consumption: High
Heat generation: High

The 20 slightly simplified the board. Aside from simplifying one of the voltage lines (1.8v I believe) It remains mostly unchanged. Again, with high power consumption and heat generation, and 6 layers, I also do not recommend using this board for portables unless they are large and plugged into the wall.

RVL-CPU-30

jWsfBWvh.jpg

Die Size: 65nm
Power Consumption: Low
Heat generation: Low

Ah, the 30. This is where things start to get interesting. Nintendo die shrunk the cpu (and possibly the GPU, but unknown) which means a drastic reduction in power. I estimate power consumption to be close to 11 watts, compared to about 14-15w of the gamecube. Less power consumption and less heat mean more efficiency, but 6 layers means shorting or severing lines while cutting the board is almost guaranteed. Recommended for battery powered portables that do not require trimming the board passed the ground plane.

RVL-CPU-40

3GRDYrUh.jpg

Layers: 4
Power Consumption: Low
Heat generation: Low

The 40 is the most significant change yet, and it also marks the last significant change to the wii motherboard before the mini. As a cost cutting measure, the board was redesigned to use only 4 layers. All non-voltage traces were moved to the visible surface layer, making trimming this board significantly easier. If you plan to make a battery powered portable and you plan to trim it, this is one of your best options.

RVL-CPU-60

tY5mItwh.jpg

Power Consumption: Very Low
Heat generation: Very Low

50 must have died in traffic, because 60 was the next revision to surface. Cant tell the difference? Its quite subtle. One of the regulators was swapped out, specifically the 3.3v "always on" voltage line, from a linear regulator to a switching regulator. It is located above the wifi chip place and to the right of the MX chip. This slightly reduced power consumption even more, especially while in standby. Aside from this change the board is essentially identical to the 40, down to every single trace outside of said regulation circuitry. All components made by SHARP have been removed, so this could be the reason for the change.

RVK-CPU-01

YYGnDneh.jpg

Power Consumption: Very Low
Heat generation: Very Low

Despite changing the number system and starting over, the RVK didn't really change much. The board stayed essentially the same as the 60, but gamecube controller ports were not soldered on, and a section of the ground plane was cut to make way for a diagnostic port. The diagnostic port is wired to the memory card ports. It seems to be a proprietary plug. As mentioned earlier, gamecube data lines are still present, and ports can be soldered onto the board.

RVO-CPU-01

4yYoAw0h.jpg

As for the RVO-CPU-01, I have never touched a wii mini. I would assume it uses 4 layers, a 65nm process, switching regulators for the standby 3.3v line, and several missing lines. If I get a hold of one, I will post information on it.

Really excited for this you guys! Hopefully we can figure out classic controller integration and custom regulators for 7.4 volt batteries.

Do you still have all the board scans? It appears the old file links in the other thread are dead.

Classic controller is essentially obsolete. Gamecube controller does everything it can do and more, its wired, has rumble, and the gamecube controller can be wired up to classic controller-style buttons or casing.

I do have the files, but contact cheese to get them. The files are too large to send using methods I have access to. He has a server and knows how to transfer files of that size.

The CPU 20 I have does have GC controller ports, just wanted to point out that minor inaccuracy.
That said, I have already removed them.
The 65nm vs the 90nm cpu is pretty close t 50% power draw difference, wish I knew that before tearing down,
Also, the RVL-CPU-20's onboard flash is rotated 90 deg. but the board trim is almost the same. I'd suggest the a slightly wider OMGWTF board trim.
My battery would do about 4 hrs on a newer wii...

Back