Zet's new portable work log

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
Whelp, this is the reason I bought a game gear. I'm pretty much putting my original NES into a game gear, but I want to try and include a psone screen. Not sure how I'm gonna do it, but I know with trimming it can fit.

And I actually plan on finishing this one. :p I've abandoned far too many, and I ain't about to do it again.

My plan is to clean out the guts of the game gear. I'm only keeping the controller contacts so that I can wire them to the NES's controller chip. I plan on keeping the battery compartments as is, and using rechargeables AAs to power it.

The cost of parts'll is cheap. $30 for the zenith screen, $20 for the NES, $11 for the game gear (plus a small amount for an LM386 audio amp). As long as I don't *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up the screen or NES, I should be golden. I may or may not end up commissioning someone to cut the zenith screen for me though, because I have broken more than a few in the past.

Wish me luck guys!

How small do you need that screen mobo cut? I can get it all behind the LCD sans the audio amp portion.

Edit: Pic for reference
dj1Fyl.jpg

I cut that far on a commission a few months back.

That'd be great, Bud, thanks! I'll most likely ask you to cut it as small as possible (without the audio amp), but I won't be sure until the game gear arrives. I measured it out on some cardboard to get an idea of what size everything needs to be, but you never know till the case is in your hands. It's almost a certainty that I can fit a psone LCD inside, and I happen to have one left.

Also, no worries about the audio amp. I'm either gonna use the parts for the LM386 that I have lying around, or try using one of the other amps that are in the random electronics section.

Thanks for the support guys!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can take off the amp side if you aren't going to be using it.

Well, my game gear arrived today. But, I don't think that I'm gonna be able to use a psone LCD in this. It's able to fit, but I never liked the look of the LED mod, and that's the only way it's getting in here. I think I'm gonna use a 3.5 inch screen, which is just slightly larger than what the game gear uses.

I'm gonna do some trimming on the NES motherboard and see what I can do.

Thanks for posting that Bill, not I know how much to cut! I knew I couldn't've thought of the game gear thing on my own. It's hard to believe that your thread is already three years old!

I decided that I'm just doing to start cutting the NES and case up first, and then decide one the screen thing later. If I can, I wanna use the zenith screen that I have. But if I have to, I suppose I'll buy a 3.5 inch screen.

Just a tip. Be careful with the screw posts on the game gear. Maybe it was just mine, but they seemed too brittle and I had to repair one on mine (see the abs cement on the top right.

I haven't done flax since I last posted. All I've done is remove the RF box and attempted a video mod. Which failed. Once I figure out what I've broken, I'm going to continue working on it. Till then, I've actually picked up learning an instrument, so progress will be slow.

Back