Yeah...about those traces...

Basement_Modder

He who mods in thy basement.
You know the traces on the front of the N64 board that everybody says you don't need? The ones in front of the jumper pak slot?

You need them. (or at least on some boards...)

I was trimming a board and rewiring stuff (everything below was done in one hour, so yes its sloppy) and I tested it before cutting the said traces and it worked fine.

Then I cut them off. It didn't work after that until I rewired them with some IDE cable.

7604Z.jpg

Its the 2 wire cable running below the RAM.

Sorry for flaxpic.

You need to rewire some of the front traces, but not all. 2 of them are controller data for players one and two. You don't need to rewire those if you are wiring directly to the U8 chip. The other ones are for something else, and your right, you need to rewire them.

I'm afraid to get into the N64 scene.

GC mobo cutting is not nearly as complicated or controversial as what you guys are doing. Although its only me and Zenloc........

:/

Tchay said:
I'm afraid to get into the N64 scene.

GC mobo cutting is not nearly as complicated or controversial as what you guys are doing. Although its only me and Zenloc........

:/

What? N64 cutting is very easy. What you do, Tchay, looks much much harder. I think you should give yourself more credit then you do. The N46 is only a 2 layer board, so there are no hidden traces to worry about. Honestly, theres no point in arguing about the 6 or so traces that run in front of the jumper pack, because in the end, you can just rewire them and not worry, because it's not the end of the word if you rewire a trace that you didn't actually have to.

I wasn't doubting my own abilities. I was more referring to the apparent inconsistency in rewiring methods for the N64 whereas Zenloc and I see eye to eye on the GC :p

Tchay, there are(to my knowledge) 3 revisions of the GC, two appear to be almost exactly the same and one just lacks a digital out port and has the powerboard built in(I'm not sure how up-to-date this info is) I do know that there are like 7 different powerboards though. In comparison, there are 9(?) for the N64, and we only deal with about 7 of them. And there are some sub revisions in there too I think. Simply put, there are concrete things we can draw out in a picture as far as what can and can't be cut, and the rest is subjective to your revision. I mean, if we had scans of every single revision we could probably draw out concrete chopping diagrams. And again, I've had the exact same revisions cut the exact same way, and only one of the powered on.

N64's can be finnicky, but not always.

I think it depends on whether or not it likes you.

SS

Back