Wire sizes

PRXVII

I'm starting a GCP soon and need to gather materials. I'm buying some spools of wire later today. What wire gauges are recommended and for what purposes?

Personally, I use two types. You go through a lot of controllers in the portabalizing community, so I cut the rubber off the chord, and use the wires found inside the chord for power and bigger things in the portable. The other type I use is IDE wire, the type that's used in computers. If you have a computer shop nearby that does repairs and things, ask them for IDE and they'll likely give you some for free. It's insanely thin, and since it's ribbon cable, it keeps things more organized. Another good option is to buy Kynar wire. You can get it on amazon, and probably on ebay. Don't buy the hookup wire that radioshack sells, It's super thick and impossible to work with.

I used to use ide for almost everything.

Now I find since I have so many cut up controllers it is easier to use the controller wire and it is actually a bit thinner overall than the ide.

But for video wires I use shielded rca wires. For power I use 22AWG stranded from Radio Shack. For RCP or smaller wiring I use the tiny ide wire. For controller buttons, audio, screen buttons, and other I use controller wire.

Back