Wierd ABS cement putty?

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
I made a jar of abs cement a week ago. I used a cut up psone controller, with a little bit of polycase and a pinch of a green n64 controller. I used some dollar-store mail-polish remover (whoops, almost said fingernail remover) and let it set.

Within two days, it became the consistency of chewed gum. I let it set a couple more days, still like gum. I add a ton more nail polish remover, wait four more days. Still gum.

At this point, I got a bit impatient and took it out to mess with it. It feels almost identical to chewing gum in my hands. I played around with it for about thirty seconds, and it began to feel a bit firm on the surface. The longer I had it out, the stronger it seemed to get. Right now, about five minutes later It feels sort of like clay, except rubbery.

I'm hoping I've found out how to make something like a one-day ABS cement. Case work would be way easier!

However, I'm also wondering, has anyone else had this happen to their ABS? Is it because I used nail polish remover instead of pure acetone?

It could be the brand of nail polish remover, there not all exactly the same. (At least I don't think so, could just be one chemical)

now the questions are:
will it blend?
and, will it work? (probably, especially with the way abs cement works)

the more plastic you add the thicker it gets. and it's the opposite for more acetone. It just gets runnier. So my advice would be to just get more plastic bits to melt down.

:evil2: Somebody didn't read the original post! :evil2:

I added a lot of nail polish remover to to mix, even though it was just a gummy mass of plastic submerged in nail polish remover. It stays this gummy no matter how much I work at it.

After one day of drying, it seems firm. It flexes just slightly, but in one more day I think it will be fine.

zeturi said:
:evil2: Somebody didn't read the original post! :evil2:

I added a lot of nail polish remover to to mix, even though it was just a gummy mass of plastic submerged in nail polish remover. It stays this gummy no matter how much I work at it.

After one day of drying, it seems firm. It flexes just slightly, but in one more day I think it will be fine.

I do not know what to tell you then. what is all in your nailpolish remover?

In this order:

Acetone, Water, Glycerin, Limonene, Alcohol Denatured, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzophenone-1, Denatorium B Oenzoate, Linalool, D&C Blue No. 1

Not that it matters. I just thought that it had mostly acetone, so it would work. After two days, it is solid. But it did not bond very well to my polycase. It feels solid like plastic, but it didn't bond very well to plastic.

Yep, I dumped out the nail polish remover. It was still like gum. I put in some pure acetone, and a day later it feels similar to pudding. Maybe a bit thicker. It's very easy to apply, and seems to work as you guys have described it.

Back