Which Voltage Regulator

Ok cool. The only reason I ask is I can get a PTH08080wad for sample but cannot get a PTH08080was for sample. Just wanted to make sure it would still work.

The ones you linked look awesome, but can they be trusted? I am leery of buying that type of stuff on ebay.

I've never really had any issues. I haven't bought any of those but a little testing with a multimeter would give you the answer.

I have bought a lot of items from China and can tell you the quality has gone up quite a bit. A ton of components are made there anyways, in products you use everyday. Most of your computer or phone or whatever you are using now is made of Chinese-made circuitry, it just has a brand name stamped on it versus the typical vagueness wholesale Chinese products are sold under.

If you want the ti reg, go for it. You also need the proper resistor and cap.

If you go with china, it's going to take a few weeks to get to you, and I believe it is currently Chinese New Year and sellers are on holiday. However, you won't need any extra components and you can use the voltmeter as a battery life indicator. Just depends what you want to do. Good luck!

I have bought many things from China too with out issue. Just would hate to buy this, wire it all up, works great, then 1 month later it fails and 5v goes through and my n64 board is fried.

The first one I linked has a heatsink. I believe copper is better for heat transfer and aluminum is better for dissapation, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it likely wouldn't matter too much what type of metal you use.

What does better efficiency mean?

Also side question, can anyone recommend a good set of speakers/amp circuit? Having really hard time finding one, not sure what to even search for lol

For example : Something needs 5 Volts / 1 Amp .
You connect your battery with 10 Volts to the regulator.
If the efficiency is okay it will maybe take 10 Volts / 0.55 Amp from the batterie.
If the efficiency is bad it will take 10 Volts / 1 amp from the batterie.
The lost energy will be converted in heat.

This reg does look better and will handle a higher amp draw, but those caps look huge. I don't know how you would fit that in to anything without relocating the caps or swapping them.

Additionally, any voltage regulator will put out heat. That's just inherent, and isn't something to necessarily be afraid of. These are switching regs, which have high efficiency (90%+) vs. a linear reg, like the 5v reg on the n64 itself. Linear regs also put out far more heat.

The 3.3v line draws about 1 amp, which is enough to squeeze heat out of any regulator, be it the pth08080, the 5v 7805 on the board, or any switching reg mentioned here thus far. I would try to find the regulator n64gcmod suggested but in a package with smaller caps. The efficiency is better than the one I listed.

It's not a big deal to relocate two capacitors i think.
I don't care about heat that much. The problem was that the LM2596 hot very hot and it weakend my hot glue inside the case.

I ended up going with the lm2596. Just seems easier lol. Im not too concerned about heat, as I think I'll be adding a fan.

Now with that, I seem to only be able to find fans that run on 5v or 12v. Can I go with either of these and run it off 7.4v?

Ive decided to go with a custom case made out of wood. So I am a little worried it will be hotter inside than a plastic case.

Back