Where to start?

Well I'm very interested in modding and I want to know where you start.

1. Read stuff on modding (still doing this myself) :awesome:
2. Get some money. ( I do not know when ) :awesome:
3.Chose a portable .
4. Buy and/or make a case that should fit your portable.
5. Find a way to connect a controller and screen to it.
6. Fit it in the case.
...?. practice And redo 1 - ?

Can you experts improve the list ,break it down with real mod terms, and break it down more form their?

KingVamp said:

1. Read stuff on modding (still doing this myself) :awesome:
2. Get some money. ( I do not know when ) :awesome:
3. Choose a game console.
4. Buy and/or make a case that should fit your portable. You would probably want to buy a premade case for you first portable, and frankencase it.
5. Find a way to connect a controller and screen to it. Ask for any help needed on this forum.
6. Fit it in the case.
7. ???
8. PROFIT. Sell your portables.

Can you experts improve the list ,break it down with real mod terms, and break it down more form their?
That's as much as I'm willing to do.

KingVamp said:

1. Read stuff on modding (still doing this myself)
2. Get some money. ( I do not know when )
2.5 Do lots of little projects.
3.Chose a portable .
6. Fit it in the case.

I don't think starting with a portable is a good idea. Assuming that you don't have the basic skills required, I would recommend that you start with basic projects. An LED flashlight or something. I think I started with LED replacements in electronics, and then moved on to overclocking gameboys. It's best to work your way up slowly (and even more best [sic] to work on projects that you'll enjoy).

Get money together as you read. For portables, think of an 8-bit or 16-bit console you have some interest in, then read some work logs that other members have made. If you see some case designs you like, draw from it to use on your own. I would suggest the polycase route for your first time around, as it's very noob-friendly.

Wire together the screen and controller to the console, as you said. Next will be batteries, which vary from system to system. Once all your guts are figured out, you can know almost exactly what case to use.

Good luck! Try testing every step of the way, it'll make troubleshooting easier later on.

@Jewjo: I began modding in portablizing, as I'm sure many others have. However, depending on how quick you pick everything up, you may end up breaking a lot of stuff. :lol:

Jewjo said:
KingVamp said:

1. Read stuff on modding (still doing this myself)
2. Get some money. ( I do not know when )
2.5 Do lots of little projects.
3.Chose a portable .
6. Fit it in the case.

I don't think starting with a portable is a good idea. Assuming that you don't have the basic skills required, I would recommend that you start with basic projects. An LED flashlight or something. I think I started with LED replacements in electronics, and then moved on to overclocking gameboys. It's best to work your way up slowly (and even more best [sic] to work on projects that you'll enjoy).

yeah, listen to jewjo. start with something simple. I did the same as him. Did LED modds and such, and then overclocked gameboys and sold them for a lot of modding money.

Back