What's needed to build SNES/NESp?

Luig

Alright so I decided to give console modding a go. I have no equipment for it atm. I've done minor solders in the past but for simple quick fixes. Have programming knowledge but doubt that will apply. I also doubt minecraft circuit knowledge applies.

So I looked at the DX list that someone posted on the junkyard section. Can someone help me figure out what's necessary and what's not for this project. My goal is to build a portable like the HandyDuo but with 360 analog/buttons and ps2 triggers.

Electronic DIY:

1mm solder (How much of these would I need to stock on from? DX takes for ever to ship)
0.06mm (Again how many?)
Flux (Never used this but I heard it's for cleaner soldering. Will look more into it but how many needed for stock?)
Heat-shrink tubing (Have no clue what this is for)
IR LEDs (No clue what the difference/uses is for IR/UV but they cheap so gonna stock up)
UV LEDs (^)
Green LEDs (Cheap so gonna stock up on these)
Red LEDs (^)
Yellow LEDs (^)

Tools:
Butane torch (Will I really be needing this?)
Tweezers (Cheap and they've come in handy in the past so getting them)
Soldering iron (Derp, I know I need this)
Exacto knife (Is this what you guys use to trim MBs? If not then whats the use for this and what should I get for trimming)
Desoldering pump (I get it's used for desoldering but how to use it? Will look up but if someone can link me to a proper link that be awesome)
Hot glue gun and refill sticks (I know I'ma need these, how much refill stick packs do you recommend?)
Iron Cleaner (This is for?)
Soldering Station (I don't think I need this atm and it's pricey. Is it really needed?)
Multimeters (Which one from DX do you recommend for a beginner?)
High-temperature tape (I'm I going ot be needing this?)

For the case I'm guessing I'll use a zn-40 even though it's over used. Motherboard I'll use a RetroDuo(If anyone has a zn-40 or RetroDuo they would like to sell me pm me pl0x). I found this(Click Me) cheap little nice screen on DX. What you think? I'm pretty sure I can find some nice speakers rather than the usual built in ones. I got a wired xbox 360 controller that has a broken cord so I can use that. I also got a PS2 controller with the same condition. I just got paid so I got funds. Also any tips are welcome.

Edit: Found these speakers http://www.dealextreme.com/p/foldable-speakers-4

1mm solder: Just get a reel or two of solder, that goes for the .06mm as well. You don't need to get it from DX, you could just go to Ratshack/Fry's etc.
Flux is very useful and makes soldering easier. Same advice for the solder, just get a single container of it and you can get it at Radioshack/Fry's, or wherever your nearest electronics store is.
Heat-Shrink tubing is to make everything prettier and prevent shorting on your wires, basically. I'd suggest getting some. What you do is apply it to your wires that you need soldered, solder the wires, then put the tubing over the joint and heat it to shrink it.
IR/UV LEDs - not really needed for making portables, but possibly for making some other kind of device. IR LEDs can be used for data transmission, like in remotes, and UV LEDs have a few uses (depending on the UV range) from disinfecting to just making cool effects with flourescents.
Colored LEDs - yeah, it's always good to have a few. Just remember with any LED you're going to need to throw a resistor on there to keep it from frying.

For your tools,
The butane torch isn't REALLY needed. I'd suggest getting a heat gun, though. That is, if you are going to get heat shrink tubing.
Tweezers - yeah, those come in handy.
X-Acto knife - Not used for trimming motherboards, but can be used to reveal traces on motherboards by lightly scratching the surface off, it could also be used for just generic cutting that you may need. It's always handy to have one.
- You can cut a motherboard with just scissors if you are careful. I've never trimmed a mobo so I'll let someone else go over that for you.
Desoldering pump - Yeah, get one. It's just a little hand pump. They're pretty intuitive once you see it, and you can get one at Radioshack. I would also get desoldering braid.
As for the hot glue gun sticks, make sure they (and your hot glue gun) are high temperature, and get an extra pack or two of hot glue sticks. Buy as needed really.
Iron cleaner - I guess you are talking about either a wettened sponge or copper scouring pad essentially. They're used to clean the tip of your iron. You need to regularly clean your tip while soldering, it makes things easier for you.
Soldering stations are a bit better than normal irons, but I would just go with a normal iron for a while. There're tutorials out there on how to turn a cheap iron into a variable temperature station, just google around if you feel adventurous.
Mutlimeters - Just get a cheap one. Again, if you don't feel like going on DX go to Radioshack or a similar store.
High temp tape - you may be needing it, just shop around for some adhesives.

As for the case, yeah it'll do. You can make your own from vacuumforming if you would like, too. They can look nais. A table isn't hard and there're plenty of tutorials online on how to make them.
The screen...well, I've heard mixed stories about screens from DX, long story short: it may not work. But it's cheap, and if it does work it's a good price.
If you are making a SNES/NESp, you are going to need a controller that actually works with those systems without having to mess around with things. After saying that, I would say get a clone of a controller that is native to the NES or SNES or the OEM controllers themselves and just add the plastic buttons of the 360 and PS2 over it for the look.

I hope that helped some. There're probably things I am forgetting to mention but I cbf to look through everything again.

Wow thanks for the quick reply, that cleared up alot. I don't mind ordering from DX because it will leave me more time to think and prepare. It will also give me more time to go to flea markets and look for other parts. Thanks for the tip on the screen, I'll see if I can find anything at my local flea markets tomorrow. Also on ebay I couldn't find that many Retro Duos but I did find FC Twins. Are those good for this project as well?

I was thinking of getting some cheap NES consoles at my flea market and practice relocation, leds, soldering, desoldering and stuff in that nature so I will have less of a chance to fry the board I'm gonna order and also because someone posted a neat instrucables on making an NES portable.

As for the controller I will be using the one that comes with the console I order and use that as a base and just replace buttons, relocations and the works.

Crap ya need:

Soldering Iron: ~$10 or something from radioshack. Or if you want, get a Weller iron.

Solder: One 1lb roll will last a lifetime. I suggest getting flux core, as it makes your life much easier.

Desoldering braid or a desoldering pump: useful for desoldering components. You may not need this, but it's handy to have. "Soder-Wick" is very good and quite cheap

Sponge: For cleaning your tip. If you get a stand for your iron, it will most likely have a sponge attached or something.

_____________________________________________​

Screen: Check eBay. There are tons of screens in all sorts of sizes. For 5", PS1 screen is probably your best bet. For 3.5", 4.3", or 7", just type "[size] LCD" and you should get loads of cheap results (most will be car backup cameras. So long as it has composite A/V input, you're good to go)

SNES: derp

Batteries: Check Batteryspace for all sorts of shapes, sizes, and capacities. Most people go with Li-Po cells since they're flat and have a high capacity for their size

Regulator: I don't know what the voltage requirements are of the SNES, but you will probably need voltage regulators. Common regulators are the PTH080000 (TI) for 3.3v and 7805 (radioshack) for 5v. You will also need to decide how many battery cells you need to get the proper voltage and amperage (wiring series and parallel and whatnot)

Case: Buy one from PolyCase, RadioShack, etc. or make one out of a router or something. You can also vac-form.

Imagination: Be creative.

Check out the stickies in the SNES, NES, Case, Voltage, and Screen sections.

Goodnight and good luck.

Back