Vacuum forming

zefeldo

I was just wondering if polycarbonate was a good plastic for vacuum forming a case, also how do people attach theC buttons onto their n64 portables from the original controller, like as in they cut it off and attach it to their case with some putty stuff. I'm going to buy some plastic in a few weeks and I just want to make sure that I'm not buying the wrong stuff.

Polycarbonate is great for vacuum forming, but be prepared to paint it. You won't want to leave it clear, because it gets filled with little irregular bubbles unless you heat it in exactly the right conditions. You can either re-fabricate the holes yourself, or you can use epoxy and bondo to frankencase parts of controllers into your case.

Thanks! So to my understanding all I would have to do for the buttons like the C buttons would be to cut that right out of the controller and use epoxy or bondo to attach it, sand it down or something and spray paint over it to make it look better. idk I have seen many people have some puddy like stuff and when it is painted it looks nicer.

Yes. If I what I think is right then that "puddy stuff" is called bondo you can get it at most hardware stores. Try reading around the mega-stickys and googleing things.

Ok so I tried vacuum forming and it did not work, at all.
184217e4-56ef-cbec.jpg

The polycarbonate plastic sheet cools down too fast before I can suck all of the air out of it and does not suck as good as I thought. I have another piece that is flat because the suction was greater on that piece. Any ideas for better plastic? This plastic was about 1/8 in thick and I put it in the oven first at 375F (some guide said this was good) and had alot of bubbles then the second one was better at 350F also less bubbles.
I could buy one sheets online somewhere for better plastic but for plastic in my city this is the best I can get. Any help would be great

How are you sealing your plastic to your vacuum table? I use weather stripping. Also, how droopy was the plastic? It needs to droop like 2 inches. You probably didn't have it flexible enough.

Lexan (polycarb) will vac form excellently. I have witnessed this first-hand, and hand-formed my own with a heat gun (because I am hardcore, I guess). My assessment is this: either you didn't leave the plastic in the oven long enough (though bubbles usually indicate good temperatures), or your vacuum sucks- or rather, doesn't suck enough. The plastic should form around your mold almost instantaneously when you turn it on and you need a powerful vacuum and a good seal to achieve this. Most likely, you are missing one or both.

Back