USBtinyISP

robm

Billy Mays
Staff member
So, I finally broke down and ordered a USBtinyISP kit from Adafruit. I had been using a DAPA cable, which... just... isn't... optimal. At all. So, I bought this kit to have more reliable and more awesome micro programming experiences.

Bare PCB:
IMG_1652.jpg

Loose parts:
IMG_1653.jpg

Hey look a green power LED:
IMG_1655.jpg

I'm so glad to have this done. Total build time, oh, 30 minutes because I was drunk and took my time. And that answers the question why I didn't take a pic of the assembled PCB :lol:

Part 2 of this will consist of the first atmega168 burn with this device.

Haha, I remember putting mine together back when the V2 kit first came out.

They're wonderful programmers, no real draw-backs, especially at that price!

Yep, it's an AVR programmer. As far as quality goes, it'll do the job just fine - Adafruit does good work. I hope to do something with this over the next week or two, so I'll report on time and reliability at that point.

I've actually been thinking of building one of these, but from scratch since I'm too cheap to buy the kit. I have a DAPA cable, but I haven't tried it yet. I should do it on one of the computers at school, since I'd rather not blow up my parallel port (shouldn't, but I've screwed up wiring pretty badly before).

That said, I'm probably just going to use it to burn Arduino bootloaders. I should probably get a USB-serial cable, too.

Ah, microcontrollers. Fun and really useful, but such a time and money sink.

Having a drink doesn't make you a "Flamboyant Homosexual".

Taking Jello Shots, or downing Margaritas because they don't even taste like liquor, they just go down easy, just so you can get drunk off your ass.
That makes you a "Flamboyant Homosexual"/douche.

Enjoying a glass of wine because it's good, nothing wrong with that.

You can program a class of microcontrollers called AVRs. Asking what you can do with THAT is kind of like asking what you can do with a crayon, however.

robm said:
You can program a class of microcontrollers called AVRs. Asking what you can do with THAT is kind of like asking what you can draw with a crayon, however.
Better.

ALSO PIC TOTALLY BEATS AVR ANYTIME LOLOL TROLL I DOES

Oh you.

Turns out my '168 died. So, I ordered one of those Evil dev-boards from Adafruit, which comes with a atmega328. Later today I shall attempt a burn cycle, see what happens.

Actually, my '168 didn't die, I built an AVR programmer while drunk. So I fixed some cold joints, and now it works. Video showing programming sequence, followed by code execution:

14 LEDs in a 50-milisecond blink sequence. Now that THAT'S finally done, moving on to screwing around with this serial LCD...

*PLINK* YES! yes, I just censored myself

I think i enjoyed that blinky sequence slightly more than I should have.

Back