Touch sensitive SNES

I modded this super nintendo to turn on with a touch, and off with two touches. It's basically just an arduino controlling a relay.

The power switch was covered in tinfoil.
100_3022.jpg

A wire is soldered onto the other side.
100_3023.jpg

That wire is connected to an arduino which controls a relay switch. Notice the radioshack packaging used as in insulator :awesome:. The positioning of the arduino prevents me from being able to use the eject lever, but it could easily be shrunk down.
100_3024.jpg

haha now to wait for the "this is fake" comments on youtube.

Cool, this makes me think of a modern touch snes that looks like a ps3. Glossy black with touch buttons. Even build an eject lever that will push the cartridge up out of the slot with the touch of an eject button.

Cool build!

bentomo said:
Cool, this makes me think of a modern touch snes that looks like a ps3. Glossy black with touch buttons. Even build an eject lever that will push the cartridge up out of the slot with the touch of an eject button.

Cool idea! I might try something along those lines when it warms up enough to spray paint. I wonder how I could make the power button touch sensitive without coating it in tinfoil. I can adjust the sensitivity enough that I don't even have to touch the tinfoil. You can just hover your hand over it and it will start. I bet I could keep the tinfoil internal (or between the shell and back of the power switch) and work something out that way.

Heh, pretty neat. Though an Arduino is so overkill for this application it's not even funny. You could do the same thing with a 556 timer and a flip-flop.

I bet adding carbon graphite powder to a glue would work as an alternative to tin foil. Better yet, find some glossy black paint or something to use with the powder.

I may have to try this...

Back