Tchay's Quick Super Glue Guide

Tchay

Frequent Poster
--- Super Glue ---

Super Glue can be a helpful tool when modding. It can also be your worst nightmare if used improperly. So here's a quick guide to make your gluing experience as pleasant as possible :cool:

Know your container - Do you have one of those small little containers? Or is it larger? Knowing the container is crucial. For most super glue containers you have to watch out for the speed at which the glue comes out. It can be deceptive at first because the glue won't come out right away. Avoid squeezing too much too fast because then the glue will suddenly start oozing out all over your parts and fingers!!

Read the warning label!
For once, the warning label isn't a waste of time! Yes, read the warning label for your super glue because it will be helpful (especially if you haven't used super glue before). It will give you tips on gluing (pressing down for 30 seconds on any glued spot, things like that). But more importantly, it will give you some safety advice. Don't assume you understand super glue. Trust me :rolleyes:

Safety
If your like me, you probably ignored that first step and just started gluing :evil2: . So here's some tips:
- Have a fan blowing behind you to blow the fumes away from your face
- keep your eyes and mouth far from the gluing spot. The fumes are TERRIBLE. They smell, they are unhealthy, and they BURN YOUR EYES. Not an exaggeration. Stay back.
- Avoid contact skin contact (duh)
- Some super glue can be flammable. Keep that in mind. Don't smoke when gluing (the smoking is probably worse than the actual fumes but whatever)
- If it gets anywhere on your face - DO NOT RIP IT OFF. Unless you want something else to remind you of your teen years. Be patient, try to lightly scrap at it with a flat surface (card, butter knife, finger nail). But it will come off eventually. No, it won't scar (unless you rip it off).

Working Space
Make sure to have a wet cloth (that you don't care about) and/or trash bag at the ready. The wet cloth will help to get off any glue you spill or accidentally touch! The trash bag can be good for wiping the tip of your super glue container off on (the tip tends to get messy and ooz). Give yourself enough space, and NEVER have the container near your cloths! Once that glue gets on your clothes, its there for good! I would not recommend wearing any tuxedos or prom dresses (for any ladies out there) while using super glue.

Opening the container
I know its a silly subtopic, but opening the darn thing can be a chore. Most containers will be sealed in an extremely inconvenient way. They will be sealed tight and usually require poking a hole in the top to break the seal. This is because the super glue is extremely toxic and dries quickly. To open the container I would recommend using pliers of some sort and twisting off the cap.

Now the tricky part: poking the hole in the top will cause all that pressurized glue to come oozing out at a fast rate (another lovely design :mrgreen: ). Get a thumb tack and prepare yourself for some oozage. Make a very subtle dab at the tip and get as tiny a hole as possible. Do this over the trash bag as well. If it starts to ooz a lot then simply wipe the tip off on the trash bag.

Application
To apply the glue, simply give it a light squeeze and WAIT. Waiting is very important because the glue will come out fast and with a vengeance if you squeeze too much! You don't need much to get the job done. A little dab at the spot you are gluing will usually do the trick. I have found that if you put too much super glue on, it will take a lot longer to dry and will shrink up into a weird wrinkly shape causing the surface distribution to be less than before. So a little can go a long way.

KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY! The last thing you need is an extra layer of skin, believe me. Even the slightest touch will cause a layer of super glue to form on your skin. It doesn't hurt (yet :twisted: ) but it can be odd feeling and a nuisance.

Be very careful with your parts too! I have used it around my GC disc drive and it can be scary when the glue starts oozing out everywhere :sweat: . Just be patient when you use it, and try to hold the part onto the glued area for at least 30 seconds to give the glue time to dry. The glue will bond to just about anything (I have used anything from rubber, to plastic, to metal, to human skin, to my very own lips - super glue bonds to it all).

If it gets on you
If it hasn't yet, it certainly will. To get super glue off your fingers, lightly scrape at the surface and try to get it off in one piece (sometimes you can peal it off). Believe it or not, the more glue you got on your finger the better. If it is a thick layer of super glue, it will be easy and obvious to get off when it dries. The little bits of glue are harder to distinguish from your actual skin :(

If you can't see the super glue very well on your skin, take a butter knife, scraping tool, or the likes and just start scraping back and forth on the spot. At first you will think you are scraping off your skin! But don't worry, that is just the think layer of dried glue coming off. You will know when its off because your skin won't feel "weird."

Also!!! Apparently rubbing alcohol weakens the glue compound. So get a little rubbing alcohol on the glued spot and it could come off easier ;)
- credits to mako321 -

Closing the container
I have found that it is better to let the tip actually dry before putting the lid back on. This way, you can prevent super glue from oozing out when you screw the lid back on and then drying to the lid (making it harder to open in the future). Close it tight, and maybe use pliers if you are not sure if its closed enough.

If you find that you cannot open the lid because it has been sealed shut, you will need 2 pliers or something like that. One will grip the lid, and the other pliers will grip the spot below the lid. You will then twist them in opposite directions until the sealed glue inside breaks up. With most containers you cannot use the base of the container to twist because you will end up breaking the base or just twisting it up.

Also, try to store the super glue container in its own zip lock baggy. In case glue manages to get out, or the container gets a hole somewhere, you won't have to worry about glue getting everywhere.

Well that's it! Hopefully this helpful! :)

another addition, I heard that using rubbing alcohol weakens the glue.(awesome for if you glue your face to your stomach or something)

I remember one time when I was a teenager I couldn't get the cap off. So I used my teeth . :eek:

Squirted a ton of super glue in my mouth. So there I was trying not to close my mouth or let my tongue hit anything. Finally it all sorta dried in there so I could start scraping it out. My dad was watching the whole thing laughing his head off. :dahroll:

hailrazer said:
I remember one time when I was a teenager I couldn't get the cap off. So I used my teeth . :eek:

Squirted a ton of super glue in my mouth. So there I was trying not to close my mouth or let my tongue hit anything. Finally it all sorta dried in there so I could start scraping it out. My dad was watching the whole thing laughing his head off. :dahroll:

Epic fail. That would be hilarious to see though.

I used to love super glue but I don't like it much anymore. It's good for quick repairs especially with kicker (which you forgot to mention) but otherwise, no. It bonds skin much better than pretty much anything you are trying to stick, takes way longer to set than it says on the bottle, and forms a weak joint afterwards. Of course it has applications, but usually for me results are not that great. Your mileage may vary of course.

Also, the Zap CA glues that are common in hobby shops suck. There's nothing wrong with the glue but the cap system sucks, so the glue tries and you have to unplug the tip and the container is full of haze. I've used some Great Planes CA which has a much better cap system.

Lastly, I think you should mention kicker and the various types of CA. Hobby stuff typically comes in thin (CA), medium (CA+) and thick (CA-) and of course there is the usual super glues from dollar and hardware stores, gels and some other strange ones.

mako321 said:
another addition, I heard that using rubbing alcohol weakens the glue.(awesome for if you glue your face to your stomach or something)

Added! :D

hailrazer said:

I used my mouth to open it last night cuz I couldn't find the pliers. :rofl: do as I say, not as I do

once when I was repairing my glasses, I got super glue all over one of my hands. In a vain attempt to get the super glue off, I wiped are it with my other hand. :wtf: Of course, I glued my hands together. It really sucked. :gonk:

Only thing I use superglue for these days is rewiring fencing swords, much better stuff out there for other tasks.

Back