SteamOS/Steambox announced...

Ashen

GameCube Révolutionary
... Well. More or less anyway. Though Valve is calling them "Steam Machines". I can't believe this hasn't been posted about over here yet:

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Personally I think that if they do things right with SteamOS that this could possibly be the breakaway from M$ that PC gamers have been waiting for for a very long time. If someone like Valve is going to go/push Linux, I think we'll definitely see bigger and better GFX driver support/updates from Nvidia and ATI/AMD. Also, if they do compatibility layers right older PC games meant for Windows could also be playable. I'm very excited to see where they take this and if they can make it take off with the "mainstream" and make it work.

Discuss.

Ashen said:
... Well. More or less anyway. Though Valve is calling them "Steam Machines". I can't believe this hasn't been posted about over here yet:

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Personally I think that if they do things right with SteamOS that this could possibly be the breakaway from M$ that PC gamers have been waiting for for a very long time. If someone like Valve is going to go/push Linux, I think we'll definitely see bigger and better GFX driver support/updates from Nvidia and ATI/AMD. Also, if they do compatibility layers right older PC games meant for Windows could also be playable. I'm very excited to see where they take this and if they can make it take off with the "mainstream" and make it work.

Discuss.
That was my first thought of SteamOS, too. If it's able to start linux getting market penetration, it'll go a long way towards negating Windows' strangle-hold on PC gaming. Ween developers off of Direct3D and onto OpenGL, work with graphics makers to improve drivers, and introduce a new market of people to linux with the Steam Machines. I'm curious if Valve will also work with the people who work on the open-source drivers for the AMD/nVidia graphics cards.

I'm calling the next announcement to be Steampad+RIFTRIFTRIFT. Because Rift is cool, and I think Gaben has a hardon for palmer's firm body.

and now a controller to go with it: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroo ... ontroller/

controller.jpg

That looks like the negative of an PS360 controller.

I don't like it, it has no tactile feedback. I hate using touchscreen/pads, even if they have haptics.

It looked *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing horrible at first, reading into it now it just seems expensive.

SteamDNT said:
That looks like the negative of an PS360 controller.

I don't like it, it has no tactile feedback. I hate using touchscreen/pads, even if they have haptics.
I liked the part where you used touchpads with high-fidelity haptic feedback. How was it?

The controller looks extremely awkward to use just because of the way its contoured. The touch pads look like they'd be better to use than say, an android tab or iPhone, just because it looks like they've put some thought into making sure you know where your fingers are without having to look down at the controller. This is my big complaint about android/iPhone gaming, without looking at the screen constantly I can never tell if my fingers remain in the right spots for the touch controls.

The whole controller seems like its aimed at pissy PC gamers that absolutely refuse to break away from keyboard and mouse control for whatever reason. You can tell me how much better it is all you want, give me a good *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing controller every day of the week. I'm thinking "Steamboxes" will probably also be compatible and fully configurable with a wide variety of other controllers too (PS3/4, XBone, WiiU Pro?). At least I think it would be stupid of them not to support other controllers.

At any rate, I'm rooting for Valve to get this right. Hopefully they listen closely to community feedback like they say.

Ashen said:
The controller looks extremely awkward to use just because of the way its contoured. The touch pads look like they'd be better to use than say, an android tab or iPhone, just because it looks like they've put some thought into making sure you know where your fingers are without having to look down at the controller. This is my big complaint about android/iPhone gaming, without looking at the screen constantly I can never tell if my fingers remain in the right spots for the touch controls.

The whole controller seems like its aimed at pissy PC gamers that absolutely refuse to break away from keyboard and mouse control for whatever reason. You can tell me how much better it is all you want, give me a good *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing controller every day of the week. I'm thinking "Steamboxes" will probably also be compatible and fully configurable with a wide variety of other controllers too (PS3/4, XBone, WiiU Pro?). At least I think it would be stupid of them not to support other controllers.

At any rate, I'm rooting for Valve to get this right. Hopefully they listen closely to community feedback like they say.
Well, Valve stated that the controller was made to be easy to hack.

It'll support 360 controllers as well as other USB controllers considering big picture already does and they're all about choice, so I really doubt they'd remove a feature like that.

On the controller itself, I'm not going to say it's horrible nor revolutionary. It looks like one of those things you have to try yourself before you judge it. I'm skeptical of the touchpads, but I know Valve wouldn't half-ass something like this either, so I'll wait and see.

If it ends up sucking, no big deal, just use a standard controller or a mouse/keyboard.

It looks like flax, but it's also more sophisticated than it looks, and Valve isn't stupid. I'm skeptical, but I'll reserve judgement until I can actually try one.

But yes, I'm pretty sure you'll have other controller options.

Back