Sound problem

Elektix

So in the saga of my N64 portable creating problems. . .

After I fried the on board audio amp, I had to come up with a different method. Take the feed to the headphone jack, then put the output feed from that, to an ebay ipod amplifier thing.

This one to be more precise.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140503380744? ... l2649#shId

Not that I imagine it makes much odds.

Stripped it down, identified all the important things, wired it up and it works.

But the audio, has a lot of "chatter". Briefly got it sound a bit cleaner, but no matter what I do, trying different grounds etc, it just gives this poor chattery sound over the top.

Any thoughts on how to get some nice clean sound, or this is going to become a 100% headphone only project which I will be quite disappointed by. . .

For reference, I tested it on my ipod first, and it worked fine. So something some where along the line is causing this poor sound quality.

Note aswell: The headphones work fine, so it can only be the amp or something along the line there, maybe need another cap. for smoothing?

All help, advice and crackpot theories welcome. . .

Nick

Throw a cap in line with the audio signal to the amp and then one on the output of the amp for some filtration. I'd suggest to look at the waveforms under an oscilloscope but I wouldn't imagine you have one laying around :p

Plus to fully get a grasp of what's happening you need a pure periodic wave.

Yeah, also check your speaker. You may have blown it, there is some "chattery" sound when there is ripped cardboard.

Back