Solar panel for 3DS

Jv141

Newb
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on the Mod retro Forums. I'm here simply because all of the people here are AMAZING at what they do. Even though I have never modded, soldered, or done anything of that nature, I do have a good idea for my first mod. My good friend has a lot of things in this field, and he graciously gave me this amazing solar panel. Here's a picture of it.

2vim3jr.jpg

The problem that I'm having is that according to my 3DS's charger, the 3DS's battery has an input of 4.6v. How do I make sure that my solar panel doesn't put out more than 4.6v? Also what is one way that I can attach it safely? I have tried putting the black and red wires onto the bronze ports on either side of the charger, and it's worked. If anyone can help I would be... :eek: ever in your debt. ::3:

For the question of "How do I make sure that my solar panel doesn't put out more than 4.6v?", first use a multimeter (or datasheet if you have one) to find the amperage of the solar panel. then use a calculator like this one to figure out the resistance you need to keep it at a voltage of 4.6v (or 4.5v to be safe).

And regarding the "Also what is one way that I can attach it safely?" question, If you feel comfortable with it you can use a small philips head screwdriver to remove the casing and cut a hole with a dremel or soldering iron near the charge port. Then thread the wires through it and solder them to the inside of the charge port. Lastly close it up and use some kind of velcro or double sided tape to stick the panel somewhere like the back of the top screen.
I just think it'd look nicer than having it soldered to the charge port.

Also, where'd you get the panel from? I may want to do something similar :)

Back