SNES inside a Nomad (Pictures, Progress, and Problems)

klefmung

Well, here's the money shot:
image12012012121248.jpg

The back:
image12012012121543.jpg

(also pictured: a massive foot)

(cart slot hole still needs to be cut, but it will wind up sticking out the back) And those button contacts for the shoulders are from R1 and L1 of an old hipgear I had laying around.
downsizedimage120120121.jpg

image12012012121214.jpg

Here's the guts as of now:
downsizedimage120120121.jpg

As of this second, the screen is working great off of the 4.8ish volts provided by 4 1.2v rechargable AAs. The controller rig (using the original nomad button contacts) is also working, along with the power supply and audio via original nomad switches, ports, and knobs.

Okay, so last night, I was progressively testing everything off of the batteries as I did specific things. Or at least, that was the plan. the first thing I did, before removing the power switch, was bypass it, like so:
image12012012121319.jpg

image12012012121342.jpg

The traces are plenty visible in that image to tell that it bypasses the switch appropriately. In fact, it worked. As soon as I plugged it in, it worked, despite the switch being in the "off" position. However, as soon as I removed the switch, it stopped working. the only thing that changed was that I removed the NES board and soldered connections directly to the SNES motherboard like this:
image12012012121306.jpg

Now it won't start up. I know it isnt the screen because when I soldered video from another source down to it, the screen worked fine. It is just the system I cant get to work. I guess I fried it? Oh well.

Any reason (other than bamf) you decided to fill the A/X button spaces instead of going with a fighter/arcade stick arrangement of b-a-r/y-x-l?

...as some Ancient Tapatalk Theorists believe.

Well, I wanted R and L buttons around back for normal play on usual games. The only functionality I wanted to embed is normal functionality. I also wanted to test my case modding chops to see if I could smoothly fill in those buttons. However, if one wanted to use an arcade pad, I am including the 1st player port along with the second player with an SPDT switch on the +5v line between the embedded controls and the port.

Okay, heres the deal: I had this thing all ready to close up, then something bad happened. I am getting audio but no video. Everythings hooked up correctly, and the screen works. Could this be fixable? I think it might be a cap issue, but I'm not sure.

I hope that Nomad was dead before you ripped it apart :p

It looks good so far, is the button layout comfortable being off-center? (and no, that isn't me taking a shot at you)

Ya, it was way dead. I even tried supplying it with my own power and screen. Nothing worked. And, I spent a while on the dead nomad with my fingers on the buttons, and made the executive decision that it feels better over there than the alternative. It was too far down or something. It is pretty comfortable overall, actually. I like it. Now, I just need the video to work... uggh. Also, some updates: I moved the controller ports, totally replaced the panel covering up where the cart slot was with, well, just a panel. And it's all ready to close up. I'll post pics tomorrow. This video thing is pissing me off, so I've been on another project as a distraction.

Back