Should I buy a hard copy of Mass Effect?

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
Recently I've decided that one of the next games I want to buy is Mass Effect. I have two options for buying it:

1.) Buy a hard copy, either at a store like Best Buy or online. This is what I want and prefer to do for reasons I've explained in the past; I'll spare you the details.
2.) Buy it from Steam. Not ideal, and I don't currently have any way of paying electronically, but it's an option.

The issue, however, arises from the fact that the non-Steam version of Mass Effect has the infamous SecuROM DRM software. I've heard many terrible things about it, and it actually kept me from getting Crysis Warhead, so naturally I'm a bit apprehensive about it at this point. However, I've heard various things about the DRM software: That EA isn't using it any more and it can be removed; that is can be removed, but only if you uninstall the game as well; that the version it currently has is not as evil as the one in, say, Bioshock, but the details on just how evil it is are sketchy. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm having a hard time separating fact from fiction here, so I'm really unsure as to what route to take.

So, citizens of MR, I need your assistance. What would you advise me to do?

I've never had a problem buying from Steam. And for me it's actually more convenient, because most hard copy games still require you to put in the disc every time. However, there are good reasons to buy hard copy, but if it's full of SecuROM DRM anyway, not so much.

If there's securom, just get it off steam and don't worry about stupid sony with their stupid drm stuff.(They *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up bioshock 2 really badly, apparently even for the steam version)

I posted this in the chat but I'm not sure if you saw it. The solution is quite simple: buy the hard copy, and then pirate the drm-free version.

It wouldn't be bad morally considering you actually bought the hard copy, but legally it might be a different story. Its just kinda sad that with all this drm bullflax its easier to pirate a game than buy a retail copy.

XCVG said:
I've never had a problem buying from Steam. And for me it's actually more convenient, because most hard copy games still require you to put in the disc every time.

I've never had problems with Steam. I just can't buy anything from it now because, as I mentioned, I have no way of paying electronically.

As for having to put the disc in to use the game, I don't mind that at all. I do it all the time with Sega Rally Revo, and Crysis requires it too, but it's not a problem for me.

Piracy of any kind is basically out of the question. Even if I did buy the hard copy of it and then just download the DRM-free version of it, I'd still not feel quite right about it. In addition to that, I'm clueless as to how to use torrents and I don't particularly care to learn how to use them since I never need them anyways, and then, just like Steam, I'd have to wait forever for it to download.

Thanks a lot, EA, your over-invasive anti-piracy measures have already lost a sale from me and may yet lose another. Does it feel good knowing how many others like me you've probably alienated?

If the company isn't losing money at all, then pirating is fine. Say, you buy a game then pirate it.

I'd still have to wait for it to download. If I'm just going to download the Dang game, what's the point of buying a hard copy?

Twilight Wolf said:
I'd still have to wait for it to download. If I'm just going to download the Dang game, what's the point of buying a hard copy?

So that you have a legit hard copy that supports the company plus you have your DRM-free version ready to play. I mean it doesn't take that long at all to download at all, and you can just leave it downloading overnight. If thats still a problem you might be able to install it from the purchased DVD and then find a crack that removes all the drm crap, it shouldn't be more than a few megs.

J.D said:
Piracy of any kind is basically out of the question.
pussy
Wow, wanting to pay the developers who work hard, get payed flax, and work horrible overtime hours is pussy?

Plus, if everyone pirates, who's going to pay to make the games? Idiot.

Ugh, I give up on this. As much as I really want a hard copy, I don't want to take the risk of screwing with my computer with SuckuROM, and I don't want to support the inclusion of such in games. I guess I'll just have to buy it on Steam and deal with the inconvenience of both paying for it electronically and downloading it and then deal with the irritating feeling of incompleteness that comes from not having the case, manual, or disc... ;_;

bassmasta said:
J.D said:
Piracy of any kind is basically out of the question.
pussy
Wow, wanting to pay the developers who work hard, get payed flax, and work horrible overtime hours is pussy?

Plus, if everyone pirates, who's going to pay to make the games? Idiot.
God you're *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing retarded. I suggested that he pirate the game after he buys a hard copy, so he did pay the PUBLISHER (because the developers got their money from the publisher, idiot), so no money was lost.

Back