Sega genesis model 1 using a cxa1645

Drakon

The sega genesis model 1 is a great system almost all model 1s have far superior audio to the model 2/3. Unfortunately when you s-video mod a model 1 with a sony cxa1145 video encoder the picture can be a bit noisy and not the cleanest.

A lot of people have been commissioning me to build them upgraded av famicoms using this kit here:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/F-LABO/ProductsList.html

The great thing about this kit is that the video section of the pcb is basically a complete cxa1645 circuit including a lm1881 to clean up the sync. So since I have some of these kits sitting around I decided to have a little fun with my sega genesis.

Now just so people are away the cxa1145 isn't swappable with the cxa1645 basically the 1645 needs its own circuit. These av famicom kits have the 1645 installed with the proper circuit built. I desoldered the cxa1145 from my genesis and wired pins that normally are connected to rgb input and sync input on the 1145 chip to my 1645 kit. The 1645 kit normally gets power from the 5v pin that's connected to the av famicom ppu socket so the kit runs fine on a regular 5v connection. I wired up 5v from the multi av port of the genesis and ground from a ground point on the pcb and wired them both into the appropriate pins on the kit and turned everything on. The video is much better with the 1645 I'd say it's near perfect (it's certainly perfect enough for me). Here's some screenshots comparing the cxa1145 in the genesis to the cxa1645

1145sonic21.jpg

1645sonic21.jpg

1145sonic22.jpg

1645sonic22.jpg

1145gh1.jpg

1645gh1.jpg

1145gh2.jpg

1645gh2.jpg

1145gh3.jpg

1645gh3.jpg

zeturi said:
Now that is high quality! I always look forward to seeing your mods, Drakon.

Thanks a lot! I really wish it were easier to install the 1645 into a genesis 1. Someone should build dedicated cxa1645 kits like the one I ordered but instead design one specifically for the genesis (and make them cheaper than the 110$ these kits cost me).

Can you do the same with a genesis 2 with a non-sony video encoder? I have a cxa1645 from a dead fc-twin here.

themadhacker said:
Can you do the same with a genesis 2 with a non-sony video encoder? I have a cxa1645 from a dead fc-twin here.

yup this will work on any model genesis as long as the original encoder outputs rgb (which I'm pretty sure all of them do). I have no idea how it would look with non sony encoders.

Alright, thanks. I probably won't do it though because I found that my nomad has the ca1645 and I s-video modded it instead. Not too much room for an extra port, but I was able to squeeze the space for it underneath the area where the screen connects to the motherboard.

themadhacker said:
Alright, thanks. I probably won't do it though because I found that my nomad has the ca1645 and I s-video modded it instead. Not too much room for an extra port, but I was able to squeeze the space for it underneath the area where the screen connects to the motherboard.

Huh, I wonder if the nomad has the same garbage audio quality that the genesis 2 has.

Back