Screens and back light + speakers

I opted for the gameboy advance SP screen as per advice given to me because you should be able to just solder the connections. After taking the gameboy advance apart I find the screen has a very thin ribbon wire. this makes me wonder a few things.

1. how would I go about implementing this screen (if there are any guides about this it would be great)

2. how would I implement the back light, (if this is not possible or not recommended would using bright white LEDs be any better? if so how many do you recommend)

3. on note of LED back light modding how would the current consumption compare.

4. I plan on using the game boy advance speaker which is a mono, how would I wire up a mono do I just use one of the VGA sound connects (Either L or R) or do I somehow combine it

5. how do I implement a headphone jack and volume control

thanks in advance

Whoever told you the SP screen would work was wrong. It won't without spending more than it would cost to just buy a screen that will work.

I can answer some of these questions.

First off like vskid said you shouldn't use the SP Screen. It would take a lot of work to get the screen to work with composite (or any video signal the Gamecube outputs really). Screens that can take composite input can be found commonly and cheaply all over the web. Also if your SP screen is not already backlit (there are two versions of the SP one backlit and one frontlit), it probably cannot be. I did some experimentation with the unbacklit Gameboy screens, and my conclusion is that these screens are reflective displays (which are different from the thin film transistor (TFT) displays used in backlit devices) and hence cannot be backlit. But since SP's are already lit (either front or back) you should be able to use the entire original assembly. Still I would recommend that you buy another screen. I couldn't imagine playing Gamecube with Gameboy screen size and resolution anyway.
Lastly regarding the speaker. You can use the GBA speaker but the quality is not very good (at least when I tried it). Also you will need an amp to power the speaker which in that case you can buy an amp that combines the stereo signal into one. When choosing an amp it would be ideal to buy one that already has a headphone jack and volume control but of course if it does not, there are guides for that.

Sorry a lot of information but I hope that answers your questions.

Back