Rosin Flux

bentomo

Frequent Poster
So I just discovered that little white container I bought from radio shack 2 years ago.

It makes soldering 10 times easier.

Use it.

Okay I have some flux, but don't really understand how to use it. Do I dip the wire I'm going to solder in the flux? Or the solder itself? Or do I spread the flux over the pins I'm going to solder to? All of the above?

Use a q tip to dip in the fkux and spread a thin coat over the pins, the clean up any excess with rubbing alcohol.

I've never found flux necessary for normal soldering jobs. However, for the abnormal ones it is a godsend. SMD work? You need flux. Soldering a header backwards to the top surface of a board? Flux. Massive MF wires? Flux.

Flux is a gift from heaven. Use it always. It makes removing things like HDMI ports from PC motherboards way easier.

Rather than spending 6 hours wiring the header for an ffc cable, it may only take me one. I was even able to solder to the end of the ffc cable itself with ide wire.

I don't know how I was able to rcp mod an n64 without using it, that probably could have gone a lot easier.

bentomo said:
Use a q tip to dip in the flux and spread a thin coat over the pins, the clean up any excess with rubbing alcohol.

Do I really need to clean up excess flux? If so, do I do it before or after I solder the pins?

unicycler17 said:
bentomo said:
Use a q tip to dip in the flux and spread a thin coat over the pins, the clean up any excess with rubbing alcohol.

Do I really need to clean up excess flux? If so, do I do it before or after I solder the pins?
After. Once you use it you'll see what he's talking about.

a lot of solder is rosin-core. If you notice its easier to solder when you first touch the iron to the solder than after it's off the coil, its because the internal flux is gone.

grossaffe said:
a lot of solder is rosin-core. If you notice its easier to solder when you first touch the iron to the solder than after it's off the coil, its because the internal flux is gone.
This. But what I mean is if you are doing small soldering jobs definitely use extra.

And yes you want to remove any excess flux after soldering, if it wasn't heated, it's corrosive.

Yea, flux is definitely your friend for soldering to tiny things...

6fa3b46f.jpg

I <3 Flux

When I saw this picture over on gc-forever I wondered what kind of hacking you used to do it.

Then I used flux myself, and realized it was possible.

bentomo said:
When I saw this picture over on gc-forever I wondered what kind of hacking you used to do it.

Then I used flux myself, and realized it was possible.

Yea flux with every soldering job makes it stupid easy!

Back