Recommended number of LEDs for backlighting larger screens

Pik4chu

Well first of all hey all, been lurking for a little while and finally decided to sign up when I started planning some projects.
But first I had a question regarding a side project that I'm hoping someone can help with. The common screens people use here are generally 2.5"-5" and when I see people talking about adding LED back light to them Ive seen anywhere from 3-8 white LEDs used for said back light. Now what I have here is a 22" wide screen LCD whose back light bulbs are toast. And while I could probably find a replacement bulb for them or just buy a CCFL kit for a computer (assuming that's what died and not the inverter) I have more than a few bright white 3mm LEDs sitting around from previous computer projects that Id like to try and use on one of these monitors. So assuming I use those at full power how many LEDs do you think it would take to get a reasonable amount of back light for one of these large monitors? I was thinking something like 20-30 but that seems like it might not be enough depending on where I put them and what back of the screens look like. Anyone got some possible numbers they'd be willing to throw out so I can know what kind of materials to gather for this attempt?

Back