PSX (DVR) issues- Yes, the Japanese PSX

DefectX11

So I picked up a PSX today :awesome: . I was so happy to see it. But now I see to have an issue with reading disks- I'm using NTSC-J games, as the PSX is region locked.
I insert the disk, the drive is responsive, but it makes some clicking noises and doesn't read the disc. The entire system is in Japanese so I don't have the slightest clue on where to go from here.
Is there anyone out here that actually knows some facts about the PSX? A google search brings up everything on the PS1 (which is NOT called a PSX)

Many thanks to the person who can help!

DefectX11 said:
shoved a disc in the drive real hard and it loaded.

I'm not that knowledgeable on the PSX at all, but I'd say using any kind of unnaturally strong force on the disc drive is not good for it, and the fact you had to do so means there's still a problem that needs to be fixed.

It's a slot loading drive, and I deal with Mac computers all the time. A good shove often re-aligns the drive.
It's now working with 100% no issues.

Te place I volunteer at is glad I'm there. Those #%$#@-ing Macs are a pain. They are planning to PAY me to fix and sell them. And this place is a volunteering place!

DefectX11 said:
Te place I volunteer at is glad I'm there. Those #%$#@-ing Macs are a pain. They are planning to PAY me to fix and sell them. And this place is a volunteering place!

The more you talk about it and your rare devices the more insecure you seem. Please stop.

Shoving is not a good idea. Not all slot-loading drives are the same. You have nothing to back up this assertion that shoving "re-aligns" them.

If it's clicking, something could be obstructing it inside. The motor to spin the drive could have issues. The tinier motor that moves the laser sled (what an awesome term, LASER SLED) back and forth on the track could have issues. Your laser could be out of focus or too weak (as with one of my CDXs) causing it to re-position itself, move in and out for focus, and try again.

Your rare devices are kind of neat, but PLEASE pull your pants up about them.

Back