PSP Slim battery for rechargeable DMG

mkyGD3

Couldn't really find anything on the topic so I decided to make a post. I bought a PSP Slim battery and wanted to male my DMG rechargeable. I'm not sure if 3.6V is enough for the backlight and to run the gameboy. Will the low batt indicator still work for this? I think I'm also going to need to buy a PSP charge port. If anyone has any help, pls let me know!

Well I've never owned a DMG but I think they take 4AA batteries. If that is the case then I would say 3.7v is not enough to run it off due to the fact 1.5*4=6v. You could probably wire two psp batteries up and use a reg to drop the voltage. You could also use Any kind of plug to charge it, it does not have to be a psp one exactly. It would just require a bit of splicing. The low battery indicator would also become useless.

Dang. I didn't even think of that. Would there be any other solution besides trying to cram 2 PSP batteries in there? Maybe a different type of rechargeable pack? I'll look around an try to find something. Any websites that sell that kind of stuff?

You could try to step it up to 6V, although I don't recommend it.

Theoretically, you can use 3.7V with it. On 4V, it runs perfectly, and 3V is stable.

Source

A backlight does not restrict the number of volts going to the machine.
If your backlight will run off of 3.7V, it'll work.
Also, does anyone know if the safety circuitry is in the PSP battery itself?

So basically all I will need is the charge port? I'm thinking about buying the stock PSP charge port by the end of the week. Is there a better alternative? Would I need a circuit protector or anything like this?

That *should* all be built into the battery. The stock PSP charger and charge port should work fine.

You could also build Mario or Daftmike's low battery indicator and wire it up to the LED.

Like prog said, it *should* all be built in but there is a chance that it's not. I would charge it a few times in a place that could handle an explosion if anything were to go wrong, just to be sure.

The battery has a protection circuit inside. However, the "charger" is just a 5v power adapter. The actual charging circuit is located on the PSP. I don't know how the battery would like just being hooked up to 5v to charge.

?
A smart charger is a wall wart with special circuitry inside it... what are you talking about?

I think Ben is talking of one of these:
PSP%20BatteryCharger.jpg

Back