PSOne Screen Power Handling - Updated w/ Problems

hvchris

According to my research, the PSOne Screen has a power regulator on the back of it's motherboard. That would lead me to believe that it would be safe to plug my Sega adapter up to it to make sure it powers on. It's new and from ebay and I want to make sure I have a working screen, but it did not come with the 7.5 power cord. The sega wall adapter says "Input: 120VAC 60Hz 7W; Output: 10DC 300mA" All I want to do is test the screens power, before I start taking it apart. Am I in the clear, or should I try and find a 7.5v power plug?
edit * nevermind

Re: PSOne Screen Power Handling

No, that will not work. First, it doesn't give enough amps, and second, the PSone screen takes a max of 8v.

It needs the 7.5 volt power adapter to work. And it needs to be plugged into a psone mini to turn on without any modding.

bentomo said:
It needs the 7.5 volt power adapter to work. And it needs to be plugged into a psone mini to turn on without any modding.
I didn't realize that

Oh yeah, that. It needs a certain pin attached to 5v that the PSone provides or it won't power up.

alright so I'm going to buy this today at radio shack. It's a 7.2V/3300mAh Ni-MH RC Battery Pack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2147160

So if I build a video amp for the NES, slap a 7805 regulator on the NES mother board. I can just wire the nes and the psone screen(post LED modding it) to it, and don't need another regulator for the PSOne?(the LED mod tutorial I am reading (BH's book) has me hooking the LED's to a 7805 that is already on the back of the PSOne). Also is the LED power the only power that needs fed to the PSone motherboard? Or do you have to separately wire the LED's and the mother board itself?

hvchris said:
alright so I'm going to buy this today at radio shack. It's a 7.2V/3300mAh Ni-MH RC Battery Pack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2147160

So if I build a video amp for the NES, slap a 7805 regulator on the NES mother board. I can just wire the nes and the psone screen(post LED modding it) to it, and don't need another regulator for the PSOne?(the LED mod tutorial I am reading (BH's book) has me hooking the LED's to a 7805 that is already on the back of the PSOne). Also is the LED power the only power that needs fed to the PSone motherboard? Or do you have to separately wire the LED's and the mother board itself?

I already think this is wrong. Hooking it up to the 7805 on the back is just where the LED's get their power, not the entire screen itself, so I will be providing power to the bottom of the motherboard on the PSOne. The lingering question is with the battery I have do I need a regulator, and if I technically don't need one with a 7.2v battery, would it just be a good idea as a safe guard.

The psone screen takes 6.8-8.5 volts (I've gotten over that but some people say that it will fry above that, some boards are different)

So those batteries will power the screen just fine.

bentomo said:
The psone screen takes 6.8-8.5 volts (I've gotten over that but some people say that it will fry above that, some boards are different)

So those batteries will power the screen just fine.
just wanted to get solid confirmation. thanks for the help.

Ummm...the screen turns on fine with the wall adaptor, doesn't need a PSone attached, an doesn't need the +5v unless its connected to a PSone. Its always on when plugged in and not on a PSone, and I've had all my screens work without the 5v wire trick. (that's 7 or so screens.)

Back