PS3 Emulation is making strides

Antome

Forum Blooper

Over the past month, PS3 games on RPCS3 have gone from unplayable to one commercial game being almost entirely playable. This bodes pretty well for the future, and the massive response it is getting media wise will probably further encourage development(it is a github project).

Guess we don't need PS3p's any more, amirite

I'm rather curious how powerful of a machine it takes to emulate PS3. It's cell architecture should be useful for multi-threaded emulation, but how much power will the biggest core require to emulate?

As of speaking, about 10 new games have been confirmed to now enter at least the intro screen, though not/only partially playable.

The progress of this emulator is ramping up like crazy, and the development interest likewise. I think this is a wonderful point for PS3 emulation, and it will be interesting to see where this will go in the coming weeks.

This is really interesting, and makes me wonder how possible it would have been for Sony to code a PS3 emulator for the PS4. I've always suspected it was more because they were trying to push Playstation Now than an actual technical limitation.

They did the same thing with PS2 emulation on the PS3; they said full software emulation was impossible, but that was found out to be a lie when modders found a WIP emulator in the firmware, and then confirmed when they started releasing emulated PS2 games for sale on the PS Store. Then again, the PS3 is a lot more complicated than the PS2, and I haven't done any research into how hard Cell would be to emulate with modern hardware.

Zero said:
This is really interesting, and makes me wonder how possible it would have been for Sony to code a PS3 emulator for the PS4. I've always suspected it was more because they were trying to push Playstation Now than an actual technical limitation.

They did the same thing with PS2 emulation on the PS3; they said full software emulation was impossible, but that was found out to be a lie when modders found a WIP emulator in the firmware, and then confirmed when they started releasing emulated PS2 games for sale on the PS Store. Then again, the PS3 is a lot more complicated than the PS2, and I haven't done any research into how hard Cell would be to emulate with modern hardware.
I don't see the PS4 having the power to emulate a PS3. It has an AMD Fusion processor (I think a modified mobile processor?), and I don't see it's single-core performance being powerful enough to handle the more powerful PS3 cells.

grossaffe said:
I don't see the PS4 having the power to emulate a PS3. It has an AMD Fusion processor (I think a modified mobile processor?), and I don't see it's single-core performance being powerful enough to handle the more powerful PS3 cells.
It has 8 Jaguar cores, aka babby Piledrivers. Not that I know anything at all about emulation, but couldn't each one simulate an SPU? (Albeit they might still be way too slow)

The problem of emulation usually lies in timing more than raw performance.

Unless the circuitry of your system is in perfect sync with that of a console, you generally need exponentially greater Hz to begin emulating games with precisely-timed graphics pipelines.

Mako321 said:
grossaffe said:
It has 8 Jaguar cores, aka babby Piledrivers. Not that I know anything at all about emulation, but couldn't each one simulate an SPU? (Albeit they might still be way too slow)
Even if each core could handle an SPU, what about the main CPU?

7 SPUs were used for games, if it was fast enough the last core could do main CPU stuffs. (The 8th one was just for the XMB and the like)

Back