PS3 Controller with Built In Microphone! (BIG pics)

Aguiluz

As promised, the pics come today. (Did the mod on July 3, Posted somewhere pics tomorrow and then posted this on the 4th. :p

I'm a rather heavy Online Player on PSN, and it's not the same without voice chat, being unable to tell what you see or need to tell to make your team mates do something.

The problem is, my state-of-the-fart $8 Bluetooth Headset, while having decent audio quality, is too small, easily gets lost and the batteries are so bad that it can cut out at any given time.

dsc04730u.jpg

One day on the boring night of July 3, I was cleaning my DualShock because the right analog was sticking and I noticed that there is a small space you can use to cram in a small item.

dsc04729g.jpg

(Note the small space between the white plastic and the circuit board.)

Thinking the Bluetooth can be crammed in there, I took apart the headset and got the board out. (Click to enlarge)

dsc04731x.jpg
dsc04733gx.jpg

The Bluetooth Board is VERY small, as if it could just be crammed into that small space. I went a go for it!

First off, modification of the BT board has to be done. Here's what I did to it first:

Internal 100 mAH battery removed: It's a piece of crap that dies all the time, and the board will draw power from the DS3's battery.
Earpiece removed. I prefer hearing voices with the game sounds, as I wear headphones.
Volume Control has been removed. No need for that after the earpiece is gone anyway.
Wires extended. An extension of wires allows placement of mics and buttons and interconnects. (we'll see later)

(Left: Bye bye battery! Right: Bye Bye Volume Control!)

dsc04734y.jpg
dsc04737i.jpg

After the Bluetooth Board was stripped (too lazy to remove the USB charging port at the time), a test fit was made.

(Left: Board in the gap. Right: Nice fit.)

dsc04736mg.jpg
dsc04735vv.jpg

Once the fit was confirmed and the project indeed possible, it's time for a little "plastic surgery."

dsc04738cz.jpg

(Above: A Hitachi power drill that has served me for three years)

First, a hole was drilled at the front. Microphone goes there.

(Left: Planning to drill. Right: Drilled hole.)

dsc04739cz.jpg
dsc04741us.jpg

Then, a hole was drilled at the back. The tact switch from the Bluetooth Board goes there. It serves as MUTE button when given a quick press and serves as a POWER button when held down.

(Left: Planning to drill.)

dsc04747f.jpg

Bring out the trusty Hot Glue Gun!

(The blue glowing thing was my Desktop PC, if you were wondering.)

dsc04745r.jpg

Microphone hot-glued in place. The center of the mic is as aligned to the drilled slot as best as I can.

dsc04744i.jpg

After that, I hot-glued the Bluetooth Board into place. A quick application of power confirms the board is not damaged.

(Note the blue light from the board.)

dsc04749c.jpg

When I have confirmed the BT board isn't broken, I wired in the Microphone. I fired up the PS3, and using my Blu-ray remote, tested the board for the first time.

(Left: Wires connected to microphone. Right: SUCCESS!)

dsc04750s.jpg
dsc04751a.jpg

The first test was a success. The Microphone has been properly aligned and recieves voice loud and clear, while the Bluetooth Board transmits it to PS3,

Up next is a test fit. But now there's a problem. The USB charging port of the Bluetooth Board now touches the DS3 motherboard. For some reason, the hot glue raised the board a little bit, causing the USB port to touch. Trying to screw and fit all the parts together bends the DS3 board to the point that the board is so bent that it worries me. The solution is to remove the USB port.

Some people would desolder the thing properly. Not me! I just took some pliers and smashed the port up then ripped it off. The charging circuit isn't needed, because the BT board will draw power from the DS3's internal battery. The Bluetooth still works, by the way. No damage done.

(Left: Super Pliers Action, Center: BT board after port removal, Right: Success on BT board test.)

dsc04755l.jpg
dsc04756i.jpg
dsc04758i.jpg

Up next is powering the BT board. I chose to draw power directly from the DS3's battery. Because the voltage is the same, It wouldn't hurt the board. And because it charges when I charge the controller, I wouldn't need to worry about the DS3 (and headset) going flat.

(Left: Wired up to power. Right: Success!)

dsc04753ur.jpg
dsc04754d.jpg

Finally, FINALLY is the part where I install switch.

A tiny tact switch is wired to the back of the unit above where the label is. The label on mine is long gone. Hah. It is secured with more hot glue. The position is accessible yet non-intrusive. My fingers don't hit it yet I can still turn it over to mute or power it off or on.

(Below: Tiny push button wired into the board, it's so tiny the camera can barely pick it up.)

dsc04760w.jpg

FINALLY, THE FINAL PRODUCT!

Looks like a regular PS3 controller on the surface.

dsc04761c.jpg

Until you notice the small hole for the microphone!

dsc04762mq.jpg

Yes, this works.

In MAG, Putting Mic Sensitivity on 70% allows me to talk to my team-mates without the clicking noises of my controller being transmitted over.

I am incredibly satisfied with what I have created. Now looking for worry-free online chatter!

-Aguiluz

--------------
Shameless Plug: My Youtube Account, click if you want to
http://www.youtube.com/user/DOPPELgameplayVIDEOS

Your storytelling is awesome, so is the mod. I might try to do this to my 360 controller.

Not only is this a great mod, but a simple one that anyone can do as long as they have a small enough Bluetooth. Well done.

Thanks for all the comments!

Currently this is a One-Off (like everything else I made), though if people are interested I would make another one with very detailed yet easy to understand instructions, a DealExtreme Bluetooth and the latest dualshock so people can learn how to make these things.

This is a fantastic mod and a fantastic worklog. Seeing as I have a spare 360 remote and a spare wireless headset, I may see about doing a 360 version of this :p

Back