Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I'm neutral

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
Well, I downloaded PS3 firmware 3.00 last night, and I'm disappointed, to say the least.

First, what I believe to be good improvements:

1.) The XMB loads up much faster in-game, which is quite handy for looking at trophies or messaging friends.
2.) You can now see how many of your friends are online and whether you have any messages waiting for you or not just by pressing the PS button.
3.) THE FREAKIN' BATTERY ICON DOESN'T COVER UP THE CLOCK ANY MORE. Holy crap, Sony, could you possibly have taken longer to fix that?
4.) The new boot screen is pretty cool, but I'll miss the old one, especially since the logo is way different than the one on my console.
5.) "What's New" is a neat feature that could potentially be very handy.
6.) Dynamic themes are pretty cool!

Now, the bad:

1.) The XMB doesn't look so good any more. Everything looks much lower-resolution and icky.
2.) The friends list looks terrible! Ugly as Heck.
3.) Still no cross-game voice chat...
4.) ...Or in-game custom soundtracks. Still. The two most-requested features ever still absent with no explanation. Fail.
5.) The PlayStation Store icon is everywhere. What, one under the sensible "PlayStation Network" section wasn't enough? Did that many people have trouble finding it?
6.) The PlayStation 3 logo that pops up and chimes when you start up a game is gone now. I have one question: WHY? It's supposedly to make games start up faster, but personally, I'd rather take the same load time than lose the logo and have the game start a whole second faster.

Overall, it brings some cool stuff to the table, but it screws with too much stuff that's already good enough or less, and we've still yet to get our most-requested features. Sony disappoints overall once again. Maybe now that so many people have voiced their feelings about it (which caused them to close comments on one of their blog posts, in addition to the ratings on it crashing), Sony will FINALLY begin to listen to us and give us more of what we want.

See my 3.0 rant here: (Too lazy to repost)
http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewpo ... opic=21999

Haha, I hated the new friends list as well, 3 links to the PS Store and the lack of the pleasant PS3 Gameboot. >(

XCVG said:
There's a reason I don't buy new consoles anymore......
And the reason I don't buy gaming PCs is that they get outdated fast and cost a lot. (Ex-PC Gamer here) The only game I want for the PC is DJMAX: TR. And that's not enough for the cost of a new PC.

I can justify the PC vs. Console in so many ways, but I won't bother because nobody ever cares.

As for the original topic, I really have no idea, but I know that my friend always has problems when he tries to update. Maybe it's just his brother *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing with it, no idea.

Wow, I didn't notice some of the cons, and as for the gameboot, I thought it was my monitor having issues with it or something. We gotta create/join a movement and all contact Sony so they can release a new fw with what we want.

EDIT:
4.) ...Or in-game custom soundtracks. Still. The two most-requested features ever still absent with no explanation. Fail.

Actually, this is patented by Microsoft, this is why both the Wii and PS3 can't implement this and have to leave it up to the developers on a game by game basis.

Link

Zero said:

Actually, this is patented by Microsoft, this is why both the Wii and PS3 can't implement this and have to leave it up to the developers on a game by game basis.

Link
one more excuse for me to hate microsoft. :wtf:

not really, though. I support patents, and Microsoft was on the ball here. But still...

Maybe it is patented, but I'm sure Sony in their cunning could figure out a way to do the same thing without copying Microsoft exactly. Perhaps even by just putting a different label on it they could get away with it... who knows? Either way, patented or not, it's something I'm sure Sony could do legally if they felt the desire.

Back