PS1 screen problems

Threedog

Brand new ps1 screen finally arrived in the mail today. I wasn't able to test it properly since I don't have a console that it can plug into directly, so I just tore it right open and hooked it up to my Neo Geo MVS board, meaning of course I can't return the screen, so I have no option other than to fix it. (Oh, by the way, it's broken)

Ok so here are my problems: The screen turns on, and there is a picture. No backlight though. I have to shine a bright flashlight on the screen to see the image.

the image itself rolls from the bottom of the screen to the top. I don't know how else to describe it: it just rolls slowly up from the bottom of the screen.

The colors are totally washed out. I mostly see just outlines, with very little color at all.

There are rather thick, uniformly spaced horizontal lines across the entire screen.

A bit more information: I know this screen calls for 7.5 volts. The huge wall-wart DC adapter that came with the screen has a sticker that says it puts out 7.5 volts. But, when I measured the adapters output with my multimeter, I measured a solid 12 volts. So I wired 12 volts to the screen from my arcade power supply. The first time I fired it up, the backlight came on fine. The second time I fired it up, no backlight. So I bridged that little surface mount fuse that all the guides suggest bridging, and fed 5v into pin 12 from the little 5v regulator on the back of the board. I have the screen wired in the manner described in this diagram http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5499/slide1zi2.jpg and I feel that I have wired everything properly. I wired pins 1-6 on the left hand header thing directly to my JAMMA edge connector, and pin 12 to the 5v regulator. Oh um... is it important to ground pin 7?

Ok. So I'm not too broken up over the backlight. Probably going to use 4 LEDs anyway. But I sure would love to get that crazy picture under control. Anyone know how to un-break this sucker?

Sorry for all the questions and no pictures. I need to find my camera.

The 12v did it. Some wall warts show higher voltage without a load, which is probably why you saw 12v when you tested it.

PSone screens can only take up to ~9v. I can't remember if they work right again after having 12v, hope it will.

(Currently under the influence of soju, hope this makes sense.) Well, that doesn't seem to make much sense... Voltage is voltage, regardless of current draw (or so I thought...) Either way, if I fed the poor little thing too much voltage, the only part that should be damaged is the backlight, right? The rest of the board is receiving 5v straight from the regulator on the board. Hopefully this screen isn't totally shot, 'cause as you know, vskid3, it takes forever for anything to get here by mail lol.

**EDIT** What I meant to say was: Thank you for your help. I will try feeding the board 7.5 volts as you suggested and hope that the screen still works. Thank you again!

Ok vskid3, it would appear that you were right. I powered the screen from the wall wart that was supplied with it, rather than 12v from my arcade power supply, and the rolling picture and thick horizontal bars went away. I can't really tell if the colors are right because the backlight is still shot. I shined a very bright flashlight at the screen to see what was going on, looks like all might be ok. I'll have to stab some LEDs in the corners of the screen before I know for sure. Thanks again for the tip, I'll be sure to never ever not never run more than 8ish volts into a PSone screen again.

Back