overclocking the GBA

designer noob

I have a 8.0 oscillating crystal and 12.0 crystal. I know that the 8.0 oscillating crystal will almost double the GBA speed, but will 12.0 destroy the GBA or will it be alright? I know that the 16.00 won't work with the GBA.

designer noob said:
I have a 8.0 oscillating crystal and 12.0 crystal. I know that the 8.0 oscillating crystal will almost double the GBA speed, but will 12.0 destroy the GBA or will it be alright? I know that the 16.00 won't work with the GBA.
16 will work just fine. 12 will work just fine. If it's a GBA, anything up to 69mhz.

Does it matter on the type of GBA board or will all GBA boards handle a 16.00 oscilling crystal fine?

Wierd because I tried a 12.00 and it didn't work.

I will try 12.00 again and 16 tomorrow.

THIS IS MADNESS! Ok, so, have you soldered it on properly? Did you remove the crystal first, or just solder onto the leads of the side? 12mhz worked just fine on my SP :sweat:

69mhz works on a GBC, not a GBA. You cannot destroy it with a faster crystal, worst case you will have to switch back.

It can only go so fast, though. Double speed is right around that limit, so stick to 8mhz or so.

PalmerTech said:
69mhz works on a GBC, not a GBA. You cannot destroy it with a faster crystal, worst case you will have to switch back.

It can only go so fast, though. Double speed is right around that limit, so stick to 8mhz or so.
Damnit. I knew I was full of fail and aids.

Back