Outlet Killing SNES'S?

slypty

So I recently got my hands on an SNES Mini, and was playing it fine in my living room for weeks. Eventually it was occupying too much of my girlfriend's NetFlix 'time' and wanted me to move elsewhere.

So, I went upstairs and tried it there. A few days after moving the SNES started acting berzerk, showing these signs:

- A/V Not recognizing games occasionally (black screen, 1 in every 5 games.)
- Games starting up, then STALLING suddenly after 5 minutes.
- Controller selecting alternate buttons (i.e, B button becomes 'Start button.')

I've tried taking it apart, and cleaning cartridges, all the regular stuff to no avail.

Now, a week later I buy another SNES for $40.00. Just a regular SNS '93 model.

I plugged it in today, it started to play a game, but stalled before I could actually get to any game play. This system was exhibiting the exact same problems as the Mini System that died a week earlier.

So, here are the strange qualities that seem to be clues to what are wrong:

1. I never get to play the game, it will give the Intro, but when it comes to gameplay, that's when the game will stall, or as soon as I start pressing too many buttons.

2. The game's will act jumpy... .as if skipping parts of the intro to get to the game.. almost as if there is lag (like on a computer.) I'm wondering if this is due to me pressing a button, and the button registering 10 sec. later or something. Very strange.

So, same day as I'm testing out the 2nd replacement system, I happened to buy a Surge Protector, just in case power surges were killing my system. I plug it in to the Outlet, and a red light on the Surge Protector indicates that this is 'non-grounded outlet.' I'm wondering how frequent surges might occur with a non-grounded outlet, and would it kill an SNES almost instantly? Any help is greatly welcome.

If anyone here is good with a Voltage Meter, I can show a vid of me testing the Caps with an in-board ESR Meter. I can't tell if the micro-farads on the meter are giving accurate cap readings.

Try another wall wart that is definitely for SNES.
Make sure they're not overheating.

Thanks, but I've tried plugging both SNES systems in afterwards, in different outlets that previously worked with out any problems. The problem is that the systems are acting in the same manner as the outlet that must of shocked them.

I'm really just wondering if a system goes through a shock or surge, what do I look for? Are caps a good place, or would it be more likely to be a MotherBoard chip getting fried?

I'm not really sure.
Like I said, try another wall wart, aka power brick, adapter.
I think if a chip was fried, it wouldn't work altogether.

That's all OK..

I've checked those things many a time. I have many A/C Adapters to test with, lots of wall sockets, etc. It's all been checked for those things.

Maybe I'll post a video on the Cap's being tested, and see if anyone knows the proper readings for the in-board caps.

Back