New to modding

Kbs

Newb
Hey everyone, I've been wanting to mod electronics for a while now and decided to sign up. I don't have any experience with the hardware aspect of electronics, I've always stayed on the software side of things. Anyways, I'm hoping to pick up the necessary tools to get started but some help would be appreciated.

I'm not too worried about tools because there's a ton of topics regarding tools to get started...Although, what's a good soldering iron when working with handhelds and (when I'm not a complete noob at this...) consoles. I think I've read something around 25w is good? Oh, and what kind of solder is best?

Also, what are some good projects to get started with? I'm assuming LED swaps would be easiest...but anything else?

Finally, I hate to admit it but I think I would have to buy a book about electronics and actually read it :rolleyes:. Would something like Electronics for Dummies (ugh...) be good enough, just so I have an understanding of watts, resistors, etc? And what about Ben Heck's book? It's a few years old but does it still have some good information in it?

Thanks a ton guys and sorry for the semi-long post.

Kbs said:
Hey everyone, I've been wanting to mod electronics for a while now and decided to sign up. I don't have any experience with the hardware aspect of electronics, I've always stayed on the software side of things. Anyways, I'm hoping to pick up the necessary tools to get started but some help would be appreciated.

Welcome! I'm likin' the good grammar and spelling.

I'm not too worried about tools because there's a ton of topics regarding tools to get started...Although, what's a good soldering iron when working with handhelds and (when I'm not a complete noob at this...) consoles. I think I've read something around 25w is good? Oh, and what kind of solder is best?

I've always used a 25 watt soldering iron for everything, and it's worked fine. I would suggest buying a cheap weller iron, though a radioshack will work, too. Lead-free .032 diameter solder works well for most stuff.

Also, what are some good projects to get started with? I'm assuming LED swaps would be easiest...but anything else?

Front-light a gameboy. Good for beginners, and only costs about $40 to do. Also try building an LM386 audio amp. Easy peasy.

Finally, I hate to admit it but I think I would have to buy a book about electronics and actually read it :rolleyes:. Would something like Electronics for Dummies (ugh...) be good enough, just so I have an understanding of watts, resistors, etc? And what about Ben Heck's book? It's a few years old but does it still have some good information in it?

Hacking Video Game Consoles by Benjamin Heckendorn is your best bet. It has some outdated (and a few wrong things as well) information, but it's good for beginning this hobby,

No problem! :)

Kbs said:

A ratshack cheapy will do at first, but it's better to invest in a good one right away. I use a Weller WP25, it's very nice but kind of expensive. If you go for that, get a smaller tip too, because the stock one sucks. As for solder, don't use lead free unless you are paranoid. It's significantly harder to use, mostly because it needs more heat to melt.

I dunno, whatever little projects you feel like. Don't worry, ideas will come to you. Some will be reasonable, some will be too difficult, and some will be downright dumb, but the ideas will come.

If you read the stickies and information threads here and at BenHeck first, the book is a waste of money. In fact, I'd only recommend it to a complete noob who can't use forums properly. It has some errors, is full of omissions, and the information is highly outdated. As for electronics, books are overrated. The internet is your friend. I can get you some breadboarding lab worksheets that are a great introduction. The best way to learn electronics is hands on, with a breadboard preferably.

Thanks guys. I'll probably go pick up some supplies and mess around on an old piece of hardware tonight or something.

Also, I really appreciate the offer with those worksheets XCVG. Sadly, I don't own a breadboard and there aren't any Radioshacks in Canada to buy one...I'll consider buying one online in the future if I can really get into this type of stuff rather than wasting money on something I'll lose interest in (which hopefully doesn't happen :p).

You are going to have to either buy online or find a local electronics store then. The only time I buy something from The Source is when it's on sale or I'm REALLY desperate.

I know that hailrazer and themadhacker both use a chemical called ABS Cement. It creates a strong bond with plastic for a stronger case. Sometimes bondo will crack or break under pressure.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

That's acetone. You some in a glass jar and add bits of plastic from an old case or whatnot. It melts into a goo, which we call Liquid ABS or ABS Cement. Use that for attaching things together. I've literally just start using it. I used to use Mighty Putty to attach things but it's really hard to sand and probably not as strong as Liquid ABS. You will still need some Bondo too for covering up rough spots and making the case all smooth and blended. Canadian Tire is a better bet for Bondo. I use Spot and Glazing Putty, which comes in a smallish tube, but I'm not sure if it is the right stuff.

and just because something like nail polish remover has acetone don't trust it. only buy stuff that you know for certain works, like pure acetone. nail polish remover just makes a gum-like abs that doesn't adhere or dry very well

Welcome to the forum!
I'm new here myself, and already I can see that you're about 90 times as intelligent as I am. However, it's not wise to start small, Be like me and make a huge 50-pound POS "portable" that doesn't even work, probably made of duct tape.
Jk, or course. (I have to put that there because I have recently been notified that apparently sarcasm does not work on the internet :wtf: ).

But, yeah, I'm using a cheapo RadioShack soldering iron... no problems so far.
But then again, I haven't done much so far.

Oldewindmill said:
(I have to put that there because I have recently been notified that apparently sarcasm does not work on the internet :wtf: ).

He's right.

Welcome to the forums, Keebs. The best advice I have is to read every single thing on these forums (and forums.benheck.com).

It's good to know I'm not the only newb on here :p I've gotta start practicing soldering though, I've been way to busy to even try.

I'm COMPLETLEY new to "modding" and it looks like something i could really get into. But i do have 1 big question, how do you make a case for... anything really. I've seen all kinds of awsome gamecube mods with awsome cases amd everything, but whats it made of? and how do you mold it?

Sorry, it's kind of a long question :rofl:

You can use A.) Vacuum forming B.) Franken-casing or C.) You could commission someone on the forums to do it like Tchay if hes still doing it. :mrgreen: I myself use flax amounts of bondo ,and paint.

Making a case can be for the most part split into three categories, as wolborg said;

Vacuum forming/making one from scratch:
In short, you get a sheet of heated plastic, stretch it over a mould, and have a vacuum pump suck the plastic around the mould. It's the sort of thing that takes a bit of preparation (you will need to build the vacuum former, etc) but often yields great results. If you're keen on it, I know there are many guides on this sort of thing in the casing forum.

if you have the tools, you can make a case from scratch, but we probably don't need to go there.

Franken Casing:
As the name suggests, this involves getting some sort of case, be it a children's toy or a router, and refitting and modifying it for your project's needs. Doesn't always yield the best looking results, but isn't too difficult, and will get you by.

The third option is, well, buying a case. The best cases you can probably get would be from http://www.polycase.com/ , I can recommend either the SL, ZN, JB, or AG series cases. You might also notice that many people choose to use these cases. You could also get someone on here to make you one.

Back